created in Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa by citizens
from the Netherlands.
platted as a "Village."
of Land" donated by the Rev. A.C. Van Raalte, later known as "The
Five Acres" and designated as a site for "The Academy."
Pioneer School" the first educational institution in the new
settlement, formally opened on "The Five Acres" in October.
General Synod of the Reformed Church in America assumed control
of the school.
Vleck Hall erected on "The Five Acres."
Acres" enlarged to 16 acres and designated "The College Campus."
first freshman class, 10 in number, matriculated, September.
Phelps, Jr. elected first president of Hope College; inaugurated,
July 12, 1866
of Incorporation as a College of Liberal Arts granted by the
State of Michigan, May 14.
Commencement of Hope College, July 17.
Rev. A.C. Van Raalte died, November 7.
Mandeville begins service as provisional president of Hope
Scott begins service as provisional president of Hope College.
Elected Hope's second president in 1885; inaugurated, June
started on the President's Home (completed in 1892).
Library and Winants Chapel cornerstone laid October 12; dedicated,
June 26, 1894.
J. Kollen elected third president of Hope College; inaugurated,
June 27, 1894.
Raalte Memorial Hall dedicated, September (destroyed by fire
April 28, 1980).
Gymnasium dedicated, June (renamed "Carnegie-Schouten Gymnasium" in
1954; razed in July, 1982).
R. Voorhees Girls Residence dedicated, June.
Vennema 1879 elected fourth president of Hope College; inaugurated,
February 19, 1912.
D. Dimnent elected fifth president of Hope College; inaugurated,
May 14, 1919.
Memorial Chapel dedicated, June (renamed "Dimnent Memorial
Chapel" in 1959). The building features beautiful stainded
Wichers elected sixth president of Hope College; inaugurated,
October 12, 1931.
Preparatory School, originally "The Pioneer School," discontinued.
Building (later "Lubbers Hall") formally opened, September
J. Lubbers '17 elected seventh president of Hope College; begins,
opening of Winifred Hackley Durfee Hall, residence hall for
women, September 26.
Hall completed (named for the late John B. Nykerk in 1962).
Hall opened (dedicated, September 1, 1957).
Zoeren Library opened September (dedicated, October 8; renamed
Van Zoeren Hall in 1988).
A. VanderWerf '37 elected eighth president of Hope College;
inaugurated, November 16, 1963.
Dormitory Complex opened.
Hall opened, September.
Mathematics Hall opened September (renamed "VanderWerf Hall
of Physics and Mathematics," October 9, 1981).
Hall completed, September.
House for apartment living dedicated, September 28.
Vander Lugt begins service as chancellor of Hope College (until
Wichers addition to Nykerk Hall of Music dedicated, October
Student and Cultural Center opened, September; main theatre
J. Van Wylen elected ninth president of Hope College; inaugurated,
October 13, 1972.
Science Center opened, August. Major renovation completed,
Health and Physical Education Center opened, August.
East Apartments opened, August.
Art Center and gallery, a former furniture factory, dedicated,
118th Commencement ceremony conducted at Holland Municipal
Stadium, the first Commencement held outdoors in Hope's history,
Student and Conference Center constructed.
H. Jacobson, Jr., elected 10th president of Hope College; inaugurated,
October 10, 1987.
Wylen Library dedicated, April 21.
Holland Theatre downtown donated to the college and renamed
and reopened by Hope as the Knickerbocker Theatre.
House completed, May.
Guest House at 85 E. 10th Street opened, September; renamed
the Keppel Guest House, March 29, 1992; becomes Campus Ministries
office, summer, 1994; moved to 129 E. 10th Street, August 16,
Andel Plaza dedicated, August 17.
G. Fried International Center dedicated, September 22; International
Education moves to the Martha Miller Center for Global Communication,
Zoeren/VanderWerf renovation and DeWitt Center for Economics
Business dedicated, October 12.
track and field facilities at the Ekdal J. Buys athletic complex
are named in honor of Gordon Brewer '48, April 27.
Fieldhouse dedicated, September 28.
indoor DeWitt Tennis Center dedicated, October 14.
E. Eighth St. and 100 E. Eighth St. purchased, announced October
of the Rev. A.C. Van Raalte dedicated at Centennial Park as
part of the city's sesquicentennial celebration, May 1.
Inn and Conference Center completed, January; dedicated, May
Hall dedicated, October 17.
E. Bultman ' 63 elected the 11th president of Hope College;
inaugurated, October 22, 1999.
to Nykerk Hall of Music provides space for an organ studio;
organ dedicated, October 6, 2000.
racquetball courts in the Dow Center transformed into a weight
room and fitness room; the former weight room becomes a dance
Hall renovated during the summer.
new science center, connected to the west side of the Peale
Science Center, opens for use with the start of the school
renovation completed of the Peale Science Center, summer; dedication
for the science center, October 8.
||The Martha Miller Center for Global Communication
||The Richard and Helen DeVos Fieldhouse opens. Both
basketball teams go undefeated in their first season in the $22 million facility.|
addition to Cook Hall is completed.
||A $3 million
renovation of historic Lubbers Hall is completed.
Skinner organ in Dimnent Memorial Chapel rededicated following
restoration, January 30, 2007.
||Baseball and softball fields renovated and stadiums
built and named respectively in honor of Ronald '60 and Sunny Boeve, and Karla Hoesch '73 Wolters and Tom Wolters '73.
||A $5.7 million adaptive restoration of Graves Hall is completed. Building is rededicated on October 9, 2009.
the $5.3 million Van Andel Soccer Stadium. Facility is dedicated
on October 17, 2009.
||Renovation of VanderWerf and Van Zoeren halls adds and enhances multiple research laboratories in engineering and physics.