- Equipment and supplies needed for etching boards.
Provision for 12 people to etch simultaneously is sufficient to insure timely completion of this phase of the project in a group consisting of 24 people.
- FeCl (ferric chloride) etchant. Approx 1 gal for 48 people.
- Plastic trays
- Laboratory coats
- Safety glasses
- Disposable polyethylene or latex gloves.
- Nylon string to attach to boards being etched.
- Plastic tongs to rescue boards lost in etchant bath.
- Equipment needed for tuning finished keyboards
Two oscilloscopes for a group of 24 people is recommended.
- Oscilloscope with provision for determining frequency.
- Small screw driver.
- Common problems and troubleshooting. The keyboard does not produce any sound the most common problems are:
- No IC installed.
- IC not installed properly.
- No battery.
- Battery leads attached backwards.
- Short circuit by solder overflow in area of integrated circuit.
- Poor solder connection somewhere in the circuit.
- Board over etched and copper connections not complete (hairline breaks are also a possibility).
- Defective speaker (rare but it does happen).
- Circuit not drawn properly. Repair using wire jumpers.
- Defective integrated circuit.
© 2001 John J. Krupczak, Jr.
All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of the author is prohibited.
Last updated January 10, 2001.