History Majors: Past,
Present and Future
Where can majoring in history take you?
Opportunities for history students are limited
only by their imagination and initiative. Hope history students
studied in Europe, South America, Africa, Asia and
Australia, worked in internships at nationally-known museums, organizations
such as Human Rights Watch, and government agencies such as the United
States Department of State, and taught in schools in a variety of communities,
from urban settings to rural villages.
Beyond that, what does a student do with a History
major after graduation? Well, here's what some of our graduates have
done. Can you see yourself in one of these settings?
Department of History Alumni
Museums and Libraries
- Amy Weber ('09) completed her M. A. in art history
from the University of Illinois and now works as a project coordinator
at the Art Institute
- Anna Cook '05 completed a joint History and Information Technology
graduate program at Simmons College and is now working for the Massachusetts
- Alicia Irvine '02 Reinhardt
completed a MA in library science at the University of Maryland and
is now a reference and local history
librarian at Henrietta Publlic Library in Henrietta, New York.
- Jacquelyn Funk-Huss is Curator of Education at the Lakeshore Museum
Center in Muskegon, Michigan.
- Cynthia Bachhuber earned a MLS from the University of Wisconsin and
is currently the Campus Librarian at Globe University in Middleton,
Teaching and administration
- George Klupchak '08 completed a M. Ed at the University
of Notre Dame and now teaches at Chicago Bulls College Prep in Chicago.
- Jessica Patrick Majerowicz '04
teaches history at Liberty High School in Bealeton, Virginia.
- Melissa LaBarge '01 is a history teacher at Bloomingdale
- Jason Rubel '97 serves as the
Principal of East Hills Middle School in
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.
- Mark Bray teaches history and coaches at Detroit Country Day.
Rottier '94 teaches high school in San Diego, California.
- Dirk Weeldreyer '86 serves as Superintendent
of the Fennville, Michigan School District.
- Tina Panayides '94 is Staff Attorney, Maine Coalition Against Sexual
- David Kraska '89 is an attorney in the legal department of Pacific
Gas and Electric Company, San Francisco.
- Amy Hinderer Feltus, law degree from Vanderbilt, practices public
finance law in Phoenix.
- Whitney Leigh, law degree from Stanford University
where he was president of the Black Law Students Association, specializes
and criminal defense with Gonzalez & Leigh in San Francisco.
- Barbara Timmer has a law degree from the University of Michigan,
serves as legal counsel for MyPrimeTime, Inc., an integrated media
- Tim Fry, who recently completed law school at Northwestern is now
at the Chicago office of McGuireWoods, working on transactional and
regulatory health care issues.
Higher education and scholarship
- Noah Haiduc-Dale '99 recently published Arab Christians in British
Mandate Palestine: Communalism and Nationalism, 1917-1948 (Edinburgh
University Press). He teaches at Centenary College.
- Hannah Perez '12 is working on an M.A. in Museum
Studies through Johns Hopkins
- Lauren Berka '08 is in the graduate history program
at Arizona State University.
- Samantha Miller '08 completed her M. Div. and is working on a Ph.
D. at Marquette University.
- Michael Douma '04 earned his Ph.D at Florida State University and
is an Assistant Professor of History at James Madison University.
- Brett Bebber
'00 teaches history at Old Dominion University in Virginia. He has just
published Leisure and Cultural Conflict in Twentieth-Century Britain (Manchester
Sterenberg '98 is is a professor at Waseda University in Tokyo, Japan.
- Anna-Lisa Cox '94, Ph.D, author of recently
Stronger Kinship: One Town’s Extraordinary Story of Hope
and Faith is
an independent scholar living in Holland.
- Hayley Froysland '88
is a professor at Indiana University, South Bend, Indiana.
- Lauren (Hinkle) Janes completed her Ph.D.
at UCLA and is an Assistant Professor at Hope.
- Brett Geier '94 is assistant
professor of educational leadership at the University of South Florida
- Elizabeth Morgan is Registrar & Director
of Institutional Research at Claremont McKenna College in California.
- Jeffrey Harrison, '12, Project Manager at Mindscape at Hanon McKendry,
a West Michigan marketing and advertising firm.
- Brian Pageau, Business Development and Marketing for Midwest Energy
- Geordie Mackenzie '06 works as an account executive with the Fleischman
Hiller public relations firm in San Francisco.
- Jeff Bates '98 is Open Source IT Program
Manager at Google.
- Amy Strassberger '98 VanStee lives in Chicago where she is an editorial
manager with a health information publisher, and a freelance editor.
She earned a Masters in Writing from DePaul University.
- David Charnin '96, law degree University of Michigan, is now general
counsel for a financial services company in Greenwich, CT.
- Rick Lumsden '93 is Institutional Sales Manager, Encyclopaedia Britannica,
- Barbara Good '87 Van Heest is is a vice president
and relationship manager for Chase’s business banking group
in West Michigan.
- Doug Holm '86 is Vice President for Communications/Research with
MacFarlane Partners, a real estate investment management firm in San
- Meg Smitley '97 owns Sproulee Solutions, a web design firm in London.
Consulting and communication
- Erica Puntel '00 is a senior publicist for CNN in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Daniel Stid '87, a Rhodes Scholar, Harvard Ph.D. and author of The
President as Statesman: Woodrow Wilson and the Constitution, is
a partner in the
Bridgespan Group, a consulting firm in San Francisco.
- J. Scott Carpenter, formerly Deputy Assistant
Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs,
is now the Deputy Director of Google Ideas in New York City.
- Banu Demiralp ('00) is co-founder of Anka Rising,
which provides a platform for private enterprises, governments,
to combat modern-day slavery.
- Shannon Craig Straw ('09) is Senior Director at West End Strategy
Team in Washington, D.C.
Government and public service
- Jason Burns '06 is the national political
and communications director of the Victory Fund, Washington, DC.
- Louis Canfield '01 earned a Masters in Public Administration and
is Development Center Coordinator for the City of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- Rafael Diaz '98 is on Holland’s police
force and is currently working on a law degree.
- Ryan Kreider '94 is Senior Director of Financial Management and Control,
EastWest Institute, New York City.
- Jordan VandeBunte '05 earned an MA
in Near Eastern Studies from the University of Arizona and works
for the U.S. government.
- James Plasman '03, a Masters in International
Affairs from Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies,
is a Foreign Service Officer; he currently serves in the American
embassy in Lagos, Nigeria.
Serving the church
Alumni: Please email Sarah Baar at email@example.com with
updates and changes for this page.
- Jonathan Schakel '94 is the organist and co-director of Music Ministry
at Westminster. Presbyterian Church in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Seth Weeldreyer '91 is pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Marshall,
- Kirk Slater '90 is a missionary in Uganda.
- Phil Tanis '87, former mayor of Holland while
he was at Hope is executive secretary of communications for the World
Communion of Reformed Churchs, headquartered in Hanover, Germany.
- Ryan Sweet is Associate Pastor at Addisville Reformed Church in Richboro,
- Michael Golden is a student at Dallas Theological Seminary.
- Molly Mead is a student at Western Theological Seminary.