|hope college > academic departments > dmcl > français|
at Hope College
Click Here to View the French Brochure
FRENCH IS A GLOBAL LANGUAGE, SPOKEN ON FOUR CONTINENTS / REGIONS OF THE WORLD (EUROPE, AFRICA, ASIA, MIDDLE EAST).
By studying French, you are preparing yourself for a global professional experience allowing you to work for international organizations in Africa, Europe and the Middle East, the State department, businesses with a global outreach, the mission field, and much more!
TOP GLOBAL REASONS TO STUDY AND SPEAK FRENCH
1. Be understood in 55 countries across five continents and by over 200 million people.
2. Develop critical, creative thinking and problem solving skills. French also provides the base for more than 50% of the modern English vocabulary, which improves performance on standardized tests.
3. Open the doors to art, music, fashion, food, architecture, literature, scientific innovation, and technological.
4. Discover a new appreciation for other cultures in countries that speak French like Canada, Belgium, Switzerland, and many African nations.
5. Use French to pursue studies in Francophone countries in Africa.
6. Promote language diversity throughout the world.
7. Be more competitive in the national and international job market in disciplines like business, medicine, aviation, law, transportation technologies, global/international distribution and luxury goods.
8. French is the official working language of the UN, NATO, UNESCO, the International Olympic Committee, the European Union, the International Red Cross and much more!
WE LIVE IN A FAST-PACED, TECHNOLOGY-BASED WORLD. WHY WOULD ANYONE CHOOSE TO STUDY FRENCH?
tudying French can improve your analytic and interpretive capacities, sharpening your thinking skills.
Several years of French language study on your record will catch the eye of anyone reading your applications - This can open numerous doors for advancement, including raises and travel!
More and more businesses work closely with companies in other countries. They need workers who can communicate in different languages and understand other cultures. A person who knows two or more languages can work successfully with many more people and in many more places than someone who knows only one language!
No matter what career path you choose, you will multiply your chances for success if you speak more than one language. A multi-lingual worker employee may look much better at promotion time than one who knows only English.
Professionals who know other languages are called on to travel and exchange information with people in other countries throughout their careers. An employer will see you as a bridge to new clients or customers if you know a second language.
Exposure to other points of view, and the opportunity to see how other nations view the United States. The study of French allows one to be exposed to multinational literatures, leading to a greater appreciation of literature, history, philosophy, and the arts.
HOW MUCH CAN YOU EXPECT TO LEARN?
epending on how long you study, you will gain different levels of fluency. Don't worry! You probably will not sound like a native speaker, and you are not expected to. You will, however, be understood, get where you want to go, read magazines or books for information or pleasure, and meet and talk with a whole new group of people.
Remember, it doesn't happen overnight! Like other subjects, learning a new language takes time, practice and effort.
Don't be afraid to use your language skills. People are generally understanding. If they know that you are making an effort, they will probably appreciate it.
WHAT CAN I DO WITH A MAJOR IN MODERN AND CLASSICAL LANGUAGES?
.person with skills in a second language plays a key role in interpreting, translating, and teaching in the business world. A knowledge of the literature, history, and culture of the countries in which the language is used is essential to acquiring these skills.
There are many exciting careers in which speaking a second language is of primary importance. In addition, there are other professions in which competency in a second language can open doors to more specialized positions and more exciting careers!