There are several ways to locate prospective funding sources.
- Online search engines
- Federal agency websites
- Sponsored research office
- Ask your colleagues
- Attend local/regional/national professional meetings/workshops
Be prepared.... the searching process can be very time intensive which is why you should begin this process once the idea has been developed. Plan on one year to develop your proposal and six to nine months for the proposal to be reviewed. Plan ahead!
Use these questions to help narrow your research. Does the source:
- fund your area(s) of interest?
- fund your geographical area?
- fund the amount you need?
- have deadlines that match your timeframe?
- have any limitations?
Once you have a list of potential grant sources, carefully read the guidelines to assure your project fits. Never develop a project for the money. Have the project established before seeking funding. The next step is to write your proposal.