Faculty Personnel Policies
B10 Policies Regarding Part -Time Faculty
This section applies to adjunct faculty and part-time Lecturers, except
those employed solely to give private lessons on a commission basis. It
does not apply to fractional-time regular appointments. Implementation
of these policies is primarily the responsibility of the divisional deans,
in consultation with departmental chairpersons, but exceptions will require
the approval of the Provost.
- Salary determination is based on a formula which includes earned
degrees, experience, hours assigned, and number of different courses
taught in a given semester. The dollar amounts for salary
base ranges and increments are reviewed and updated annually. Copies
of the current salary schedule and of special computations for
non-classroom teaching (e.g., laboratory or studio courses, athletic
teams) are available from divisional deans and chairpersons.
- Professional Relations
- Part-time faculty are included in the distribution list for all
general faculty mailings, in the College's printed directory and,
after six semesters of service to Hope, in the College Catalog.
are encouraged to include part-time faculty in social and professional
- All part-time faculty receive notices and agenda of departmental
and general faculty meetings. They are not required to attend any
of these meetings, although they are invited to attend, normally
without vote. However, adjunct faculty are eligible to vote in
departmental, divisional and faculty meetings and to serve on boards
and committees if they are assigned at least sixteen hours of teaching
for the academic year or if their teaching responsibilities represent
at least half of a full-time appointment.
- Professional Development
- Frequency: Part-time faculty should be evaluated in the
first and second year of teaching at Hope; if the evaluations
are strongly positive (i.e., all responses are in the upper
quartile), evaluations need be completed only every third year
- Methods: Departmental
evaluation forms may be used or a chairperson may interview
a random sample of students from each class. Classroom observation
by the chairperson or a designated colleague is also encouraged,
especially during the first two years.
- Feedback: During a conference
with the chairperson, the faculty member will receive feedback
on the evaluation, including any suggestions for improvement,
and will receive a copy of a written evaluation which is placed
in his/her file.
- Adjunct faculty are eligible for promotion
in rank according to the policy outlined in section B3.
- Conferences, Professional Travel and Grants
- Part-time faculty are encouraged to consult with their chairperson
to inquire about opportunities and eligibility for travel to
conferences, etc. Because of limited resources, priority will
be given to requests for funding in this order: full-time faculty;
adjunct faculty teaching at least half time; other adjuncts,
- To the extent
possible, chairpersons or other colleagues should provide advice,
encouragement and assistance to part-time faculty who wish
to apply for Hope College or external grants.
- Fringe Benefits
- Part-time faculty are issued a faculty ID card for the semester
or year for which they are given a contract. This card entitles
them to the following benefits:
- Free use of the library
- Free admission to athletic events
- Free admission to the Dow
- Discounts at the Hope-Geneva Bookstore
- Free parking sticker
- Part-time faculty hired before July 1, 2006 are eligible for the tuition
waiver benefit (see section B17).
- Adjunct faculty are eligible to have
the 10.5% retirement benefit deposited to an approved carrier under
the INVEST umbrella.
- Other Considerations
- Travel Allowance: Part-time faculty who must commute more than
25 miles round trip shall be entitled to reimbursement at the standard
college rate for the excess beyond 25 miles.
- Maximum Teaching Assignment
for Part-time Faculty
- Only in exceptional circumstances should a part-time faculty
member teach more than two courses or a maximum of eight credit
hours per semester.
- Assignments beyond these limits will require
the prior approval of both the dean and the Provost, whereas
the dean has the authority to approve assignments up to these
- Dates for Issuance of Contracts:
- Fall Semester: Normally by August
- Spring Semester: Normally
by December 15
- Adjunct faculty will receive a single contract
for the entire academic year. This contract will normally be
issued no later than July 30.
- Dates for Issuance of Paychecks:
each contract letter will contain a paragraph specifying the
frequency and beginning and ending dates on which paychecks
will be issued for that semester.