- You will read works by a wide range of established and emerging writers, including African American, American, Asian-American, British, Latino/a, and Native American authors.
- You can pursue internships in the Holland-Grand Rapids area and off campus in Chicago, New York City, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and Scotland.
- You can study abroad in such places as Aberdeen, Dublin, Liverpool, London, and Australia.
- Creative writers can apply for the Distinguished Artist Award, a scholarship that can be renewed for up to four years.
- Opus, the campus literary organization, publishes a twice yearly student literary magazine and schedules readings for student writers to present their works.
- Each year the department's nationally renowned Visiting Writers Series brings 8 to 10 of the nation's top poets and fiction writers to campus for readings, class visits, Q&A sessions, and writing workshops with students.
- We are a community of practicing scholars and creative writers. Department members have published more than 50 books since 2000. Opportunities are available for collaborative faculty/student research.