- Hope offers a depth of training and a breadth of opportunities in both performance and design that are rare among theatre programs at liberal arts colleges.
- The college offers independent study opportunities for students in many different areas, collaborating closely with faculty on productions and also creating theatre pieces with teams composed entirely of students.
- The department stages plays and musicals in a 475-seat proscenium-thrust theatre and a flexible studio theatre and has production facilities including fully-equipped scene and costume shops.
- The Hope Summer Repertory Theatre provides opportunities for internships and apprenticeships.
- Students pursue off-campus study and internships in such places as Chicago, Philadelphia, New York City, Dublin, London and Liverpool.
- Students interact with guest actors, directors, designers, playwrights and stage managers.
- The department's programs are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre.
- Prospective majors can audition for a Distinguished Artist Award, a scholarship that is renewable up to four years.