- Faculty members' wide-ranging areas of specialty include political philosophy, philosophy of mind, philosophy of science, philosophy of religion, moral philosophy, Asian philosophy, philosophy of language and the history of philosophy.
- The department maintains a philosophy student discussion group and a visiting scholar speaker series.
- Philosophy students at Hope are encouraged to organize course work that will enhance their professional preparation. For example, pre-seminary students focus on ethics, moral philosophy, and the philosophy of religion. Pre-law students study modern political thought and the philosophy of law. Pre-med students study the philosophy of science.
- Most courses offered by the department are small, discussion-based classes.
- Students have the opportunity to study philosophy in such off-campus programs as the Oregon Extension , the Japan May Term and others, or while camping and backpacking in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.
- Faculty members regularly teach Senior Capstone Seminars in their areas of research.
- Philosophy students have opportunities to collaborate with faculty members on research projects.