Static IP Addresses
Hope College's Department of Computing and Information Technology
(CIT) strives to be an enabling resource in the use of technology
for academic study, office productivity, and other areas of
college life, there occasionally comes a time when expectations
and limits must be set in the form of policy.
It is not the intention
of CIT to develop and enforce policies to bureaucratically
offend and limit the people it serves; rather, these policies
exist to ensure reliable, secure and fair technology solutions
continue at Hope College.
Therefore, as you read the
policy statement below, please keep in mind that its intention
in the larger scope is to maintain an excellent technology
infrastructure and not to limit creativity, academic freedom,
or other appropriate and welcomed activities.
In order to maintain the integrity of the campus network, and to
conserve the limited number of IP addresses available to the college,
CIT has implemented Dynamic IP addressing (DHCP). In some cases,
it may be necessary to obtain a static IP address. In these cases,
CIT will provide a student a static address if a faculty or staff
member will serve as a sponsor to vouch for the need.
To apply for a static IP address, print the Static IP Address Agreement
and return the signed agreement to CIT.
Static IP Address Agreement
In receiving an assigned IP address I agree not to:
- Illegally distribute copyrighted material.
- Put an undo burden on campus resources, including network bandwidth.
- Participate either actively or through negligence in "hacking."
- Misuse or misrepresent the Hope College name, logo, or other
trademarks of the college.
- Knowingly or unknowingly break any local, state, or federal law
or Hope College policy.
- Make claims against Hope College for damages or claims based
upon my connection or usage.
I also understand that:
- Hope College may revoke or change this address at any time with
no prior notice.
- Hope College may revoke my network connection as part of any
investigation into network or system irregularities.
- This address will not be effective beyond the current academic
Student ________________ Date _____________________________
E-mail Address ____________ Phone ___________________________
Campus Address ___________ Ethernet Address _________________
As sponsor, I agree that I have discussed the above issues with
this student and feel that this assigned IP address will have a positive
Faculty/Staff Sponsor ____________________ Date _____________
Notes or Comments:
PRINT THIS FORM, SIGN, AND RETURN TO CIT