site    
hope college > campus offices > residential life & housing      

 
Home <
Missions & Values <
Housing Policy <
Residential
Life Staff
<
Housing Applications <
Tour Our Facilities <
Off-Campus Housing <
Want to be an RA? <

 

 

 

Welmers Cottage

Purchased in June of 1987, Welmers Cottage is located at 76 East 14th Street and can house 17 students.

When Hope originally bought the house in 1987, it was purchased as a lifetime estate, and the owner lived in the house at its original location at 78 East 9th Street until 1996. After the college fully acquired ownership of the house it was relocated to its current location. The brick garden on the corner of 9th and College now stands in its place.

This cottage is named in honor of Thomas E. Welmers, alumnus of 1903, professor of Greek 1920-1945, and the registrar 1925-1945. He was awarded an honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity upon his retirement in 1945. Shortly after his retirement, Mrs. Welmers wanted to sell their house at 46 Graves Place but President Lubbers, on behalf of the college, was unable to offer enough money. A private individual purchased the house instead. In 1949 a cottage at 135 East 14th Street was purchased with money that Lubbers had set aside for the purchase of a cottage to be named in Welmers' honor.

Floor Plan

Ethernet Hook-Up Availability