to Live With Your Roommate
1. To thine own
self be true. If you are a messy person who likes listening to music at all
hours, dont be ashamed to admit it. Just make sure that in your roommate
agreement these things are discussed and an agreement is reached.
2. Speak up. Get to know your roommate. Dont be afraid to tell your roommate
if his/her actions bother you.
3. Silence is golden. We just told you that you shouldnt be afraid to
discuss things with your roommate, but youll probably be better off if
you dont tell your roommates about all of their little annoying
habits. Think long term.
4. Plan ahead. Decide how you are going to handle financial obligation (e.g.
phone bill, groceries) ahead of time so there wont be any misunderstanding
when its time to pay. Establishing boundaries is fine as long as
both roommates are aware of them.
5. Establish a guest policy. Decide whether its acceptable to bring a
boyfriend/girlfriend back to the room.
6. Do unto others
whether you like your roommate or not, treat him/her
with the consideration that youd like to be treated with.
7. Give a little. You dont have to subvert your personality to get along
with another person, but be prepared to compromise.
8. Dont stress. Most roommates naturally figure out how to get along
even if they dont become best friends.
If you find yourself
struggling with your roommate do not hesitate to contact your Resident Assistant
or Resident Director. They are here to help. Do not make any room changes
yourself, as the decision to move is not yours. The final decision of any
room change comes from the Resident Director.