With students and faculty gone from campus during the holiday period, the college officially shuts down from December 21 through January 1 with all offices closed to save energy. If you have questions concerning your year-end giving during this time, three of our gift officers will be available for assistance. Please feel free to call or email them as they will be pleased to assist you with any questions you may have.
If you are mailing your gift:
- Checks sent by mail must be postmarked on or before December 31.
- Mail checks to:
Hope College Advancement Services
PO Box 9000
Holland, MI 49422-9904
If you are making a credit card gift:
- Gifts made online through the Hope website must be submitted on or before December 31.
- Credit card gifts submitted by mail or phone must be received by December 28 to allow time for year-end processing.
If you are using your traditional or Roth IRA to make a qualified charitable distribution:
- The IRA Charitable Rollover legislation allowing persons 70 ½ or older to transfer up to $100,000 annually directly from their individual retirement accounts to an eligible charitable organization (e.g., Hope College) and exclude the amount distributed directly from their gross income will expire on December 31, 2013.
- To qualify for income exclusion in 2013 before the legislation expires, you must authorize your IRA Trustee to make the contribution from your account directly to Hope College and have it mailed by December 31.
If you are transferring securities or gifts of stock to Hope College:
- The delivery date for electronic transfers of securities is the date the securities are transferred to the Hope College account. That transaction should happen on or before December 31.
- Stock certificates are transferred when they are signed over and delivered to the college. Please schedule an appointment with one of our gift officers should you desire to physically transfer stock certificates to the college prior to December 31.
We are grateful for your desire to support the mission of Hope College. While Hope College cannot give legal or tax advice, we hope these guidelines will aid you making your year-end gift. We strongly recommend you contact your attorney or tax professional for further guidance. Receipts for all year-end gifts will be mailed in early January.
All of us at Hope College wish you and your family a joyful Christmas and many blessings in the coming year.