Distinguished Artist Award in Dance
Request an audition dateEach year we give $30,000 to talented artists through the Distinguished Artist Award. Students are required to maintain a GPA of 2.6, enroll in a minimum of two dance classes per semester and participate in dance programming.
The scholarship is $3,000 per year per student. You MUST audition to be considered for this scholarship. Please see the audition dates and audition schedule of events.
If you live out of state and cannot attend an audition in person you may send in a DVD for scholarship consideration. Please contact Stephanie Brumels for more details.
Students do not need to audition to be a part of the dance program at Hope College, only to be considered for the Distinguished Artist Award Scholarship (DAA).
This scholarship is not offered to transfer students.
Please call the dance department for additional information: 616.395.7700.
- Audition Dates
- January 19, 2018
- February 2, 2018
- February 19, 2018
Recipients of the scholarship will be announced the first week of March 2018.
- Information Required
- Head shot (hair in a bun)
- A letter of recommendation from current dance instructor
- A one-page essay addressing: What is it about the dance program at Hope that interests and excites you?
- Schedule of Events
- 8:30 a.m. – Check in (Dance office/Dow Center)
- 9–10 a.m. – Ballet audition
- 10:30 a.m. – Chapel (Dimnent Chapel)
- 11 a.m. – Lunch with current dance students (Cook Dining Hall)
- 12:15–1 p.m. – Dance informational meeting
- 1:30–3:30 p.m. – Jazz, modern, tap, improvisation auditions
- 3:30–4:30 p.m. – Five-minute interview with faculty
- 4 p.m. – Tour of campus (Admissions; optional)
For the interview portion of the DAA audition you will individually meet with one or two members of the Hope dance faculty. This conversation will last 5–10 minutes. The following questions will be used to prompt the discussion during the interview.
- What is it about the dance program at Hope that interests and excites you?
- What would you bring to this program?
- Thinking about your experiences from a variety of contexts, what do you consider as strengths? What areas do you find as a challenge?