Dr. Elton BruinsRetired Faculty
Dr. Elton Bruins’ professional career began as pastor of the Elmsford (New York) Reformed Church (1955–1961) and pastor of the Reformed Dutch Church in Flushing, New York (1961–1966). He began teaching at Hope College in 1966 as a member of the religion department and became chair of the department in 1977. Dr. Jack Nyenhuis, dean for the Arts and Humanities Division, asked Elton to succeed him in 1984 when he became the provost of the college. Dr. Nyenhuis took a sabbatical in the fall of 1989 and asked Elton to fill in for him as acting provost. Elton returned to full time teaching in 1990 after a sabbatical.
Following retirement in 1992, Elton taught part-time time for a few semesters until he was asked to be the founding director of the Van Raalte Institute, where he still works today.
AREAS OF Expertise
Elton’s area of expertise is religion in America. He specialized in Dutch-American studies, history of the Reformed Church in America and the history of Hope College.
- Ph.D., New York University, 1962
- STM, Union Theological Seminary, 1957
- B.D., Western Theological Seminary, 1953
- B.A., Hope College, 1950
HONORS, GRANTS & AWARDS
- Festschrift, A Goodly Heritage: Essays in Honor of the Reverend Dr. Elton J. Bruins at Eighty, Dr. Jacob E. Nyenhuis (editor), 2007
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Western Theological Seminary, 2010
- President’s Award, Midwest Archives Conference, 1999
- Achievements in Dutch-American Studies Honor, Dutch-American Heritage Committee, 1999
- Friend of History Award, Holland Historical Trust, 1998
- Endowed Chair, Evert J. and Hattie E. Blekkink Professorship, 1980
Outside the College
Elton has served on the board of the New Brunswick Theological Seminary, the board of the Holland History Trust, as a faculty representative on the Board of Trustees of Hope College, as President of the Alumni Council of Western Theological Seminary, as chair of the committee that founded the Joint Archives Council, as treasurer of the Dutch-American Historical Commission, and president of the Classis of Westchester and Holland, Reformed Church in America.
Elton has published 185 items that include author or co-author of six books, several essays, book reviews, pamphlets, and family histories and miscellaneous pieces.