Dr. Anita Esquerra-ZwiersAssistant Professor of Nursing
Anita started at Hope College in 2010 as a practicum instructor for Obstetrics Nursing. In 2015, she was teaching Nursing Skills, Family Nursing and Nursing Internship. She returned to Hope in 2017 after completing her Ph.D. She is currently teaching nursing leadership courses such as:
- Management and Transitions
- Research Practicum
AREAS OF Expertise
Anita's clinical area of expertise is obstetrics and neonatal nursing. Her dissertation research is titled “Donor Human Milk: Maternal Experiences and Impact on Preterm Feeding Outcomes.” Her interest in this topic started after donating her extra human milk to a milk bank. During her dissertation she had the opportunity to interview mothers of preterm infants and analyze feeding outcome data before and after the implementation of a donor human milk feeding program. She is interested in researching the reasons behind why mothers are unable to meet their infant's nutritional needs and why they choose alternative feeding options (donor milk, formula, etc.).
- Ph.D., nursing science, Rush University, 2017
- M.S., nursing education, University of Phoenix, 2007
- BSN, nursing science, Calvin College, 1999
- 2016, Medela Nursing Scholar Award, Medela, Inc.
- 2015, National Association of Hispanic Nurses – Michigan Chapter Student Scholarship
- 2015, Golden Lamp Society Dissertation Research Award, Rush University, Chicago, IL
- 2015, Midwest Nursing Research Society 39th Annual Research Conference, Ph.D. Student Research Poster Award, 3rd place, Indianapolis, Indiana
- 2015, Ph.D. Student Research Poster Presentation & Travel Award, Rush University College of Nursing, Chicago, Illinois
- 2014 and 2016, Graduate College Student Council Travel Award, Rush University, Chicago, Illinois
- 2013 and 2014, Dean’s Scholarship for Ph.D. Study, Rush University College of Nursing, Chicago, Illinois
- “Donor Human Milk Update: Evidence, Mechanisms and Priorities for Research and Practice.,” with P. Meier and A. Patel, The Journal of Pediatrics, 180, 2016
- “‘It’s Somebody Else’s Milk’: Mothers' Providing Consent for Donor Human Milk Feedings in Their Very Low Birth Weight Infants,” with B. Rossman, P. Meier, J. Engstrom, J. Janes and A. Patel, Journal of Human Lactation, 32(1), 2016
Outside the College
Anita is very passionate about missions (local and global) and diversity and inclusion. Her family is extremely important to her and a majority of her free time is spent with her husband, Bill; nine-year-old daughter, Olivia; and seven-year-0ld son, Peter. If she had more time in her life, she would cook, bake, read, sew and run more.