Dr. Heidi GianniniAssistant Professor of Philosophy
Heidi Chamberlin Giannini joined the Hope College faculty in 2014. Previously, she was a postdoctoral research fellow with the Developing Character Project at Wake Forest University. While at Hope, Heidi has contributed significantly to the general education curriculum by teaching interdisciplinary cultural heritage courses, First Year Seminar and philosophy department offerings.
AREAS OF INTEREST
Heidi specializes in ethics, with particular attention to the Kantian and virtue ethical traditions. She is most interested in questions in normative ethics (e.g., What does it mean to live a good life?), metaethics (e.g., What is the nature of obligation?) and moral psychology (e.g., What are emotions and how are they related to virtue?). She has recently started branching into applied ethics, especially medical ethics.
Heidi also works in the history of philosophy. Her interest in Kantian ethics requires her to be familiar with the writings of the 18th century German philosopher Immanuel Kant and his interlocutors. Heidi recently presented a paper on Kant's philosophy at the 12th International Kant Congress in Vienna, Austria.
- Ph.D., philosophy, Baylor University, 2013
- M.A., philosophy, Baylor University, 2008
- B.A., philosophy, Houghton College, 2006
- "Hope as Grounds for Forgiveness: A Christian Argument for Universal, Unconditional Forgiveness," Journal of Religious Ethics, forthcoming
- "Kant, Moral Community, and the Value of Forgiveness," in Akten des XII. Internationalen Kant Kongresses, Walter de Gruyter, forthcoming
- "Moral Growth and Relapse: A Puzzle for Kantian Accounts of Moral Transformation," in Akten des XI. Kant Kongresses, Walter de Gruyter, 2013
- “Korsgaard and the Wille/Willkür Distinction: Radical Constructivism and the Imputability of Immoral Actions,” Kant Studies Online, 2013
Outside the College
Heidi is married to a fellow philosopher, John. They welcomed their first child in December 2016. John and Heidi attend Maplewood Reformed Church in Holland. For fun, Heidi enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, playing board games, watching movies and following college football.