Dr. Kyle MorrisonAssistant Professor of Kinesiology
Dr. Kyle Morrison started at Hope in fall 2012 after spending almost four years working at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital as a program manager and exercise physiologist with the Healthy Weight Center. He is a faculty member in the exercise science division of the kinesiology department and teaches clinical exercise physiology courses. His research focuses on pediatric exercise science and he is currently the director of childhood wellness intervention on campus called Foundations for Fitness.
AREAS OF Expertise
- Pediatric health and human performance
- Exercise epidemiology
- Ph.D., kinesiology, exercise physiology and growth & motor development, Michigan State University, 2015
- B.A., kinesiology, Hope College, 2004
HONORS, GRANTS, & AWARDS
- Herman Miller Cares Foundation Grant ($233,700)
- Hope College Social Sciences Young Investigator's Award, 2015
- “Foundations for Fitness: Initial outcomes from a 10- week multidisciplinary, pediatric obesity intervention,”with S.D. Smith, J. Krantz and J. Watson, Research and Investigations in Sports Medicine, 2017“The qualitative fundamental motor performance characteristics of preadolescent obese children,” with S.D. Smith, E. Bransdorfer and S. Barthel, International Journal of Child Health and Nutrition, 2016
- “Graded Exercise Testing in a Pediatric Weight Management Center: The DeVos Protocol,” with J.C. Eisenmann, E.H. Gusman, J. Tucker, L. Smith and W. Stratbucker, Childhood Obesity; 11(6), 2015
- “Treatment of pediatric obesity. In Response: Ludwig, D.S. (2012), Weight Loss Strategies for Adolescents: A 14-Year-Old Struggling to Lose Weight,” with J.C. Eisenmann, W.B. Stratbucker and K. Slendak, The Journal of the American Medical Association, 307(5), 2012
- “Inter-relationships among physical activity, body fat, and motor performance in 6 to 8-year-old Danish children,” with A. Bugge, B. El-Naaman, J.C. Eisenmann, L.B. Andersen, K Froberg and K.A. Pfeiffer, Pediatric Exercise Science, (24)2, 2012
Outside the College
Dr. Morrison enjoys hiking, traveling, snowboarding and camping with his amazing family. He is married to Penelope and has three children: son, Aidan (12), and daughters, Audrey (4) and Vivienne (4 months). He is the head cross country and track coach at Black River High School. He also plays guitar and sings on the Moran Park worship team.