Michael TaylorLecturer/Art Department
A ceramist, working with clay for over 35 years, Mike Taylor's work involves wood-fired and reduction-fired stoneware and porcelain. Through the process of throwing and hand building, he creates vessels that surpass function. They include patterns that are both imbedded and overlapped with slip which adds textural imagery and are abstract but may reveal familiar themes to a viewer.
Some of his pieces incorporate natural organic materials in the finished products. He creates his own glazes from wood ash, and some favorites from the Shino family of Asian glazes. As many as six applications of glaze are dipped and sprayed on each piece.
Mike is the owner of West Michigan Clay.
Awards & Exhibitions
- Best in Clay, South Haven Art Fair, South Haven, Michigan, 2015
- Zanesville Invitational Art Prize, Ceramic Exhibition, Zanesville, Ohio, 2014
- Formed/Fired Invitational Ceramics Exhibition, South Haven, Michigan, 2013
- Best in Clay, Ridgeland Art Festival, Ridgeland, Mississippi, 2013
- “Bogue Falaya” 3D Award, Three Rivers Art Festival, Covington, Louisiana, 2012
- Best in Clay, Renaissance Art Festival, Ridgeland, Mississippi, 2010
- Functional Ceramics Workshop Invitational, Wooster, Ohio, 2007
- ARC Andrews University, one-man show, Berrien Springs, Michigan, 2007
- Purchase, Pfizer Corp, Companion Platters from the KIA Holiday Gift Gallery Show, 2006
- Invitational Teapot Show – Kalamazoo Art Institute, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 2006
- Best in Category, Ann Arbor Summer Arts Festival, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2005
- Functional Ceramics Workshop Invitational, Wooster, Ohio, 2002
- Three person show, Kelder Gallery, Lievevrouwestraat 54 Belgium, November 1999–January 2000
- Award of Merit, Images Art Fair, New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1997
- Patron Choice, Images Art Fair, New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1996
- First In Ceramics, Boston Mills Art Festival, 1995
- First in Ceramics, Boston Mills Art Festival, 1994
- Award of Merit, Images Art Fair, New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1993
- December, American Museum of Ceramic Art, Teapot Purchase, Pomona, California, 1992
- Adjunct professor of ceramics, Hope College, 2015 and 2018
- Grand Rapids Community College Associates of Arts, 1980
Mike has provided leadership in numerous workshops and classes in the past 20 years. Many opportunities exist for student interns and apprentices at his studio.
Past Membership Organizations
- West Michigan Potters Guild
- Michigan Guild of Artists and Artisans, member of the Board of Directors, 2000–2003