Yoli VegaDirector of Phelps Scholars Program and Assistant Professor of Education
Yolanda Vega started working for Hope in 1991. She is the current director of the Phelps Scholars Program and a faculty member with the Department of Education.
Areas of expertise
Since starting at Hope, Yolanda has had the opportunity to work in the Admissions, Multicultural Life, Residential Life and the TRiO Upward Bound program. In July 2013, she began teaching First Year Seminar and Foundations of Education courses.
- M.Ed., Grand Valley State University, 2012
- Universidad de las Américas, 2010
- B.A., Hope College, 1988
Honors, grants and awards
- Kate Garrod Post Education Scholarship, Women’s Literary Club of Holland, 2010
- West Michigan 50 Women of Influence, 2007
- “Los sueños de una Mexicana, the dreams of a Mexican woman,” In Our Own Words: A Journal about Women, Grand Valley State University Women’s Center, 2011
- “Una mujer de color, a woman of color,” In Our Own Words: A Journal about Women, Grand Valley State University Women’s Center, 2010
- “Cultural identity of Latino students and academic success,” Michigan Association of Teacher Educators Journal, 2010
Outside the college
Yolanda enjoys being with family, reading, singing, listening to music and trying new recipes.