First Year Seminar Library Sessions
Give students early exposure to academic research and the unique educational role of the library and librarians.
During each session, students will be actively introduced to fundamental concepts of information literacy, which will get them started on the right track as they begin their own college-level research. As librarians, we hope to leave the students with a positive awareness of the library as well as piqued curiosity about their own information-seeking habits.
Our goals for students
- Knowledge of the physical library building and its services
- Better understanding of how the library and its resources fit into the broader universe of information
- A sense of what the library and librarians have to do with their college education
- A feeling that they are welcome at the library and that librarians are approachable, relatable and helpful
- Basic familiarity with the library’s MightyFind discovery tool
- Growing recognition of how “research” is already a big part of their lives, and that they are capable of adding a more robust academic dimension to skills they already possess
Although the standard FYS library session is a general introduction, we encourage you to collaborate with your FYS librarian to develop course-integrated library or information literacy goals and objectives for your students. We are happy to discuss options for “FYS-appropriate” assignments or activities related to your overall course theme or topic. If you already have something in mind, please share it with us in advance so we can better prepare for students as they look for help.
We also welcome the opportunity to work with your students in a follow-up “library lab” or meet with them in small groups outside of class time.
Scheduling Your Library Session
Contact: Patti Carlson, Administrative Assistant at (616) 395-7790 or firstname.lastname@example.org
After you have contacted Patti, you will receive a confirmation e-mail from one of the Research and Instruction Librarians which will include the day/time and place of your library session. Most sessions are done in either the Library Teaching Lab or the Granberg Room (both are located on the second floor of the library). However, in order to accommodate all sessions, some may be conducted in another lab on campus if there are overlapping date requests.
IMPORTANT: Plan to schedule the session during one of your regular class periods
- The session will take the full 50 minutes
- It should be held early in the semester. Due to the introductory nature of the library session, having it right away in September is ideal.
- Reserve your session by the end of July to ensure it gets booked on the day you want
- Have a couple of alternate days in mind – just in case
We look forward to working with you and your FYS students!