Hope College To Host HOPEYs Awards Ceremony On April 18
Hope College will celebrate the best of the year in athletics at the annual HOPEYs awards ceremony on Wednesday, April 18 at DeVos Fieldhouse.
The public is invited to the 7 p.m. event. Admission is free. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.
Twelve different awards will be handed out, including the “Hope For Humanity” award that is given to Hope College alumni athletes who have demonstrated Christian commitment and service to others in their careers after attending Hope College.
1. Exceptional Individual Performance — Presented to the athlete, irrespective of gender, who had the best performance in an individual event in a given year.
2. Newcomer of the Year — Presented to a freshman or transfer, irrespective of gender, that made a significant impact within his or her sport in a given year.
3. Breakthrough Athlete — Presented to an athlete (sophomore and above) that has made the best or most significant breakthrough in his or her sport in a given year.
4. Comeback Player of the Year — Presented to an athlete who has re-emerged on the field of play after overcoming adversity in the previous season due to an injury, illness, or other personal commitments.
5. Role Player of the Year — Presented to a non-starter, irrespective of gender, who made a significant contribution to the success of the team.
6. Female Athlete of the Year — Presented to the female athlete deemed to be the most exceptional in a given year.
7. Male Athlete of the Year — Presented to the male athlete deemed to be the most exceptional in a given year.
8. Be Strong. Be True. Athlete of the Year — A junior or senior who demonstrates the true essence of being a student-athlete and embodies the Division III motto of Discover, Develop, Dedicate. This student-athlete is in high academic standing (minimum GPA of 3.75), plays a significant role on the team, and is involved in the Hope and Holland community.
9. Exceptional Team Performance — Presented to the team that played the most impressive
game or had the most significant win in a given year.
1. MIAA Championship Performance — Presented to the team deemed to have the best or most significant performance in a MIAA Championship match, series, or tournament in a given year. 2. Outstanding Team — Presented to the team deemed to be the most outstanding in a given year.