We’ve developed policies for a wide variety of procedures. Contact us for a full copy of any policy listed below.
- Aerial Platforms and Scissor Lifts
Aerial platform and scissor lifts are used by a number of college employees. This policy ensures that the lifts are operated in a safe and consistent manner.
- No person shall bring any animal(s) into a college facility unless that animal is a service animal, under the control of a law enforcement officer acting in the course of their duties, or approved by the appropriate department.
- Bloodborne Pathogens
These guidelines provide policy and safe practices to prevent the spread of disease resulting from handling blood or other potentially infections materials during the course of work.
- Chemical Hygiene Plan
The Hope College Chemical Hygiene Plan (CHP) is established to:
- Prevent environmental contamination
- Provide an environment for high quality research while maintaining a safe workplace
- Comply with applicable federal, state, and local requirements
- Confined Space
- We've identified those spaces on campus that qualify as "confined spaces" by OSHA standards, marked them to indicate that they are confined spaces, established guidelines, and provided safety equipment for the times when our employees may need to work in these areas.
- Contractor Safety
- These regulations apply to all contractors working on campus, meant to prevent injury, illness, property damage, or any other form of loss both to the contractors and to the campus community.
- Distracted Driving
- College employees are not permitted to use a handheld cell phone while driving college vehicles.
- Fire Safety
- These regulations have several components to prevent fires on campus. We also have fire extinguishers that are regularly maintained, clearly marked emergency exits, annual safety inspections and set procedures in place for dealing with any fire that may occur on campus.
- Golf Carts & Utility Vehicles
- Anyone operating a golf cart or similar vehicle on campus must follow certain procedures for the safety of the campus community.
- Hazardous Chemicals
Our department works with the Chemistry Lab Director to make sure that all employees who may encounter hazardous chemicals are given proper information and training.
View our Chemical Inventory & SDS information.
- Hazardous Energy (Lockouts and Tagouts)
Equipment that might injure employees by unexpectedly releasing stored energy is either tagged with warnings against energizing the equipment or locks to prevent unauthorized persons from accesssing it.
- Health and Medical Services
- Employees who undergo a work-related illness or injury should go to the Holland MediCenter for treatment. (Non-work-related illnesses and injuries should still be treated by the employee's personal doctor or a local hospital.) In the event of an emergency, call 911. If you have a traumatic injury that requires going to Holland Community Hospital, tell them that the injury is work-related.
- Noise Protection
- Contact us if you have concerns about high noise levels while working on campus. Engineering controls and other sound-deadening devices are installed as possible to reduce noise levels. If these are insufficient, we do have hearing protection devices for affected employees to choose from.
- Open Flame
- The City of Holland Fire Department does not permit the use of any flame, burning candle or candles in any place of assembly without approval of the proper officials. Hope College prohibits open flames in or around college housing. Candles, even unlit, are not permitted in college housing. Gas grills may be reserved through Creative Dining Services.
- Personal Protective Equipment
- The Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Program protects employees from risk of injury by creating a barrier against workplace hazards. This program specifically addresses eye, face, head, foot and hand protection.
- Powered Industrial Truck
- All employees who will need to operate a Powered Industrial Lift Truck must undergo training and pass a written and skills test.
Campus Safety178 East 11th StreetHolland, MI 49423