New Student Advising Days
New Student Advising Day is an optional half-day program for incoming first-year students and their families.
New Student Advising Day is designed to:
- Facilitate a smooth class registration experience
- Help prepare you for the academic transition to college
- Introduce you to academic advisors, staff and programs at Hope
It is not meant to replace orientation or class registration. It will focus on academic advising and class registration planning. Note that transfer students should not attend this event because they have a different registration process — contact the Registrar’s Office to speak with a transfer student advisor.
Registration for New Student Advising Day is now open. Please complete the RSVP form to choose which day you'd like to attend. For questions about advising, contact Advising by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 616.395.7840.
- WHAT TO EXPECT
New Student Advising Day is an optional event for any incoming first-year student who is interested in meeting with an academic advisor to discuss their course requests, as well as building relationships with students, faculty and staff.
Families are welcome as well, including younger siblings, but we will only have programming geared toward incoming college students and parents.
Here is what to expect:
- A welcome from campus leaders
- Introduction to academic advising and Hope’s curriculum to help you plan your fall schedule
- Learn more about the academic transition and expectations at Hope
- Meet with faculty and upperclassmen to help answer your questions
- Lunch or dinner
You may find it helpful to bring the following with you:
- Pen or pencil and a notebook
- Notes on your course preferences after reviewing the first year registration materials
- Any questions you have about registration and course selections
- Memorize your student ID number and your Hope email address
- TENTATIVE 2019 SCHEDULE
Each day will have identical content. Please complete the RSVP form to choose which day you'd like to attend.
Friday, June 14
1:30 P.M. Check in at Jim and Martie Bultman Student Center 2 P.M. Opening session 3 P.M. Advising and resource sessions 5 P.M. Optional dinner provided by Hope College
Saturday, June 22
8:30 A.M. Check in at Jim and Martie Bultman Student Center 9 A.M. Opening session 10 A.m. Advising and resource sessions 12 P.M. Optional lunch provided by Hope College
- IF YOU CAN’T MAKE IT
If you can’t make it, that’s okay. There are still a lot of opportunities for you to be informed and connected. You will receive all of the information about registration, as well as Tuesday Tidings and instructions, via your Hope email account.
Please also review this video of the keynote from the 2019 event.
- RESOURCE ROOM PARTICIPANTS
Here are some of the Hope offices you will be able to connect with at New Student Advising Day:
- Registrar’s Office and Academic Advising
- Academic Success Center
- Alumni and Family Engagement
- Boerigter Center for Calling and Career
- Business Services
- Campus Ministries
- Campus Safety
- Center for Diversity and Inclusion
- Counseling & Psychological Services
- Dining Services
- Financial Aid
- Human Resources
- Residential Life
- Student Life
- GETTING TO HOPE
- Get directions to campus, information about parking and tips on where to stay and eat in Holland.
Brooke Hulbert, Maryah Phillips, Sylvia Rodriguez and Dimitri Villalobos
First-Year Transitions Student Orientation Directors
Associate Dean for Residential Life and Education and Director of the Summer Bridge Program
Yoli Vega, M.Ed.
Director of Phelps Scholars Program and Assistant Professor of Education and Director of the Summer Bridge Program