Summer Bridge Program
A two-week program designed for highly motivated incoming first-year students who are interested in building a strong foundation for their experience at Hope.
August 7–21, 2018
The Summer Bridge Program is for incoming first-year students who have received an invitation and have completed a program application. This is not the same as orientation or class registration. Through this program, you’ll get a preview of college life — both inside and outside the classroom. It offers close contact with some of Hope’s best faculty, staff and student leaders.
The program includes:
- One credit hour, Engl 195: Introduction to College Writing
- One credit hour, natural and applied sciences (biology, engineering or computer science)
- Peer mentoring
- Faculty mentoring and coaching
- Leadership development
- Exploration of calling and purpose
- Two weeks of room and board
The only cost for the program will be a $200 fee charged to your Hope account to offset some of the cost for the room and board for the week, plus the 2 credit hours you will receive toward your degree.
- WHAT TO EXPECT
If you were invited to join this program, you’ve demonstrated a willingness to work hard and contribute positively to the Hope College community. You may be a first-generation college student, have a high school GPA or ACT score slightly lower than the average at Hope College, or simply be recommended for the program by your admissions counselor. In any case, you were admitted to Hope because of your stellar curricular and extra-curricular record. This program allows you to use the motivation and dedication you demonstrated in high school to cultivate a positive experience at Hope. You'll be stretched, challenged and empowered by faculty, staff and students during this program.
Here is what to expect:
- Week One: three hours of class time each day in Engl 195. This course will introduce you to college writing by emphasizing the importance of critical thinking. It includes in-depth discussion, close reading and exploratory writing. Throughout the course, you will practice writing with clarity, coherence and creativity.
- Week Two: three hours of class time earning a credit hour in natural and applied sciences. You will be enrolled in biology, engineering or computer science.
- Independent work time to complete course requirements.
- Individual and group advising and mentoring from Hope faculty, staff and students.
- Excursions in Holland, including trips to Lake Michigan and other regional attractions.
- Two weeks in a residence hall with 40 future classmates.
- Two credit hours that count toward your graduation requirements.
- SCHEDULE/WHAT TO BRING
- More information will be available in July.
- IF YOU CAN’T MAKE IT
- If you've been invited to the Summer Bridge Program and can’t make it, or were placed on the waiting list, that’s okay. This program is not required. You can still be successful at Hope if you don’t attend.
- PROGRAM FACULTY & CONTACT
MEET THE PROGRAM FACULTY
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS
If you have questions about the Summer Bridge Program, contact one of our program staff:
Miche Andre, Julie Guereca and Corinne Qualkinbush
First-Year Transitions Student Orientation Directors
Chris Bohle, M.Ed.
Associate Director of Student Life and Bridge Program Director
Dr. Ryan White
Director of Academic Advising and First-Year Seminars and Bridge Program Director