Hope College provides self-serve laundry facilities in each of the residence halls, cottages and apartments.
- Wash: $1.50/load
- Dry: $1.50/load
All laundry rooms are available 24/7.
Washers and dryers require the use of a pre-paid laundry card to operate. Purchase a laundry card in the Student Development office or at either of the WASH Add Value Machines located in the lower level of the Bultman Student Center near the entrance to the bookstore or the Maas Center lobby across from the entrance to Phelps Dining Hall.
- Purchase a laundry card
All washers and dryers on Hope’s campus require the use of a pre-paid laundry card. There are two ways to purchase a laundry card:
- Pre-paid laundry cards in the amount of $40 can be purchased in the Student Development
office or online. We accept cash and credit cards, or students can charge their student
NOTE: When ordering online your laundry card will be available for pick up the next business day in the Student Development office.
Purchase a laundry card
- Purchase a laundry card with cash at either of the WASH Add Value Machines located
in the lower level of the Bultman Student Center near the entrance to the bookstore or the Maas Center lobby across from the entrance to Phelps Dining Hall.
NOTE: The card is 5.00 plus any additional money you wish to add to the card. Instructions will be listed by the machines. The maximum allowed on your laundry card is $40.
- If your card fails to load the proper funds at the WASH Add Value Machine, wipe the smart card chip with a dry piece of soft cloth and reinsert the card into the same machine.
- If your card continues to load or you received an error code (e.g., bad card), come to the Student Development office for a replacement card.
- If you lose your card or your card was stolen, you’ll need to purchase a new card.
Unfortunately, there is no way to track or locate the card. Be careful to not misplace
your laundry card, as we are unable to refund lost amounts.
- Pre-paid laundry cards in the amount of $40 can be purchased in the Student Development office or online. We accept cash and credit cards, or students can charge their student account.
- Refill your laundry card
The maximum allowed on your laundry card is $40. There are two ways to add money:
- Locate your nearest WASH Add Value Machine (see “Purchase a laundry card” above for locations)
- Insert your laundry card into the card reader (your current value will be displayed)
- Insert money into the machine (new value will be displayed)
- Remove card
- Start washing
Credit or debit card
- Locate your nearest WASH PayFlex Machine (see "Purchase a laundry card" above for locations)
- Select the "Add $" option by pressing "1" on the keypad
- Insert your laundry card into the card reader
- Swipe your credit or debit card through the swipe reader
- Type in the amount you would like to add to your laundry card ($10.00 minimum, $40.00 maximum)
- Once approved, the amount you selected will be added to your laundry card
- Once complete, remove your laundry card and receipt
If you have any questions about adding money or experience a problem with your laundry card, please contact the Student Development office at 616.395.7800.
- Using high-efficiency machines
High-efficiency machines conserve energy and water and reduce the amount of detergent needed. For better laundry results, follow these guidelines:
- Do not overload the machines. It’s best to never fill the tub more than ¾ full. When putting clothes into the washer, don’t pack them inside the tub.
- Use only 1/4 cup of liquid detergent (high-efficiency is best). Too much detergent often causes poorly rinsed, wet, soapy clothes and possible detergent stains.
- Clean the lint filter in the dryer. A full lint trap can lead to poor dryer performance
and your clothes still may be damp even when the cycle is complete.
- Service and Repair
WASH Laundry regularly visits all self-service laundry sites. However, with the washers/dryers in regular use, some machines may be out of order. We make every effort to identify and repair these promptly.
If you encounter a problem, contact your resident director (RD) or resident assistant (RA) and report the issue. Please provide the machine ID from the tag on the front of the machine. Your RD or RA will enter a work order to have the machine serviced. Hope College Physical Plant coordinates all work orders and will contact WASH Laundry.
DeWitt Student Cultural Center141 East 12th StreetFloor 1Holland, MI 49423