|hope college > student activities > intramural sports|
Coed Volleyball Rules
Minimum players on court/roster: 4
1. There must be an equal number of men and women on the court at all times, and they must be alternating in the rotation. If you have 5 players, there must be 3m/2w or 2m/3w.
2. A legal roster may have as many current Varsity or JV volleyball players on it as desired (this includes seniors who have finished their 4th year), assuming your roster does not exceed 12 players. HOWEVER, there can only be one (and ONLY one) of them on the court at any given time. If no active Varsity or JV players are on the roster, then a maximum of two former Varsity or JV volleyball players may be on the court at a time. If there IS an active Varsity/JV player then only ONE former player and ONE current player may be on the court at a time. Any teams with current Hope players on it MUST AUTOMATICALLY be in the More Competitive league. If a team has ONE former player who played JV, they are allowed to be in the less competitive league. (current team is considered anyone on the team the season prior whether they plan to play the following year or not).
3. A match is best 2 out of 3. Rally scoring to 25 for the first two games. Rally scoring to 15 if the 3rd game is necessary.
4. If a player touches the ball, or the ball touches a player, he/she is considered as having played the ball.
5. Anything is legal for the first contact of the ball after it's been served. No lifts or carries can be called on the first pass.
6. It is permissible to run out-of-bounds and play a ball before it contacts an object out-of-bounds. Once a ball contacts any object other than a player out-of-bounds, it is considered dead.
7. When a ball touches a boundary line, it is considered good.
8. After the first contact, players are not permitted to scoop, hold, or lift the ball. The ball must be clearly hit.
9. A ball touching the body more than once in succession is considered as a double hit and is illegal.
10. A ball is kept in play if it hits the net and goes over into the opponent's court during the volley or on the serve. A BALL MAY NOT BE KICKED AT ANY TIME. It IS however, permissible for a foot that is on the ground to keep the ball alive. The entire foot must be on the ground the entire time.
11. A ball hit into the net by a team may still be kept in play provided that the net is not touched by any player and that they have not hit the ball three times.
12. One may play the ball twice during a volley, but not twice in succession, unless played directly off a block.
13. If two players contact the ball simultaneously, it counts as two hits and either may play the next shot.
14. The ball must be returned over the net in three hits or less.
15. Players may not touch the net. If both sides touch the net simultaneously, the ball is declared dead, and the point is replayed.
16. A spiker must contact the ball on his own side of the net, but may in the course of his follow-through cross over but not touch the net. A back row player MAY NOT spike the ball in front of the ten foot line.
17. RALLY SCORING IS USED. Rally scoring means points are won on either team's serve.
18. Rotation shall be in a clockwise direction. You must choose a rotation and stick with it the duration of the game. A new player will enter the court at the server position, and exit from the right front position. YOU CANNOT BREAK YOUR ROTATION AT ANY POINT IN THE GAME (i.e. to have a particular player serve late in the game)
19. Each player shall remain in his position on the court until the service is completed.
20. Each team is permitted two team time-outs per game. The length of the time-out is 30 seconds. Time-outs must be requested of the other team's captain. Requests may only be made when the ball is dead.
21. Substitutes will be included in the order of rotation. Rotate in at the center back position on the change of service. Previous server rotates out.
22. Rest periods between games of a match shall be two minutes.
23. A match in volleyball is complete when one team wins two complete games. IF THE THIRD GAME IS NECESSARY, the first team to 15 points wins the match using rally scoring.
24. Choice of side or serve is determined by a coin flip. Winner gets choice of either. The receiving team of the first game serves the second game and if a 3rd is necessary a coin flip will be used. Paper/Scissors/Rock can be substituted for a coin flip.
25. Service: The ball must be tossed or released and must be hit with one hand only. The server may let the ball drop to the ground once during a serving session. The server shall stand with both feet behind the rear boundary line and may not step on or over the end boundary line until after the serve has been hit. They may serve anywhere from the end boundary line, and a serve that touches the net on its way over IS a legal serve.
26. Rotation: Each team must always rotate prior to serving -- except on the first serve of the game.
27. Four touches are allowed only if the first touch by the team was a blocking touch.
28. Blockers may reach over the net, but may not contact the ball until it has been directed toward the blocker's side. However, the blocker may not spike down while reaching over the net.
29. Any player in the front row may block or spike. Back row players may not spike the ball unless they are behind the 10-foot line.
30. Balls hitting the ceiling, or items hanging from the ceiling on your side of the net are playable. If it hits the ceiling or hanging object on the way over the net, it is out-of-bounds.
31. PARTICIPATION RULES: All teams are expected to follow the participation rules spelled out in the handbook, and in Rule #2 above. Teams must be dressed and ready to play (lineup properly recorded) at game time. ALL MEMBERS of your team must present their Hope ID to sign in.
33. SPORTSMANSHIP RULES: IM Sportsmanship Rules will be strictly enforced. Rosters will be checked regularly. Unsportsmanlike action will NOT be tolerated!