Kevin ChastagnerAssociate Professor of Management
Kevin Chastagner came to Hope in 2020 after eight years living and working in China
at Peking University. He has experience teaching courses in international business,
strategic management, entrepreneurship, technology management and case analysis. Additionally,
Kevin taught what was thought to be the first international business course in the
Democratic People's Republic of Korea as a visiting faculty at Pyongyang University
of Science and Technology.
Kevin's primary research interests are in innovation, strategy and international business. He is motivated to understand firm growth and the role of institutions in firm behavior and has projects involving patent portfolios, M&As, CSR and entrepreneurship.
Areas of Expertise
- International business
- Ph.D., business administration, Washington State University, 2012
- B.A., business administration, Washington State University, 2007
Honors, Grants & Awards
- Teaching Excellence Award of PKU, 2018
- PKU Shenzhen Graduate School Scientific Research Award, 2016–2017
- Finalist for IM Division GWU-CIBER Best Paper Award on Emerging Markets, 2015
- “Inner-self vs. outer-self and socially responsible product consumption,” with Yuejun Yoon and Jaewoo Joo, Sustainability, 12, 2020
- “The China Investment Corporation: From Inception to Sideline,” with Christopher Balding, The Oxford Handbook of Sovereign Wealth Funds, eds. Douglas J. Cumming, Geoffrey Wood, Igor Filatotchev and Juliane Reinecke, Oxford University Press, 2017
- “Internationalizing-innovation profiles and high-technology exports: Does lone genius matter?” with Monte Shaffer and U.N. Umesh, Journal of International Marketing, 24(3), 2016
- “When do firms take their domestic M&A ownership patterns overseas?” with Sai Lan and Chenlei Zhang, Best Paper Award in the Academy of Management Proceedings. 2015(1), 2015
Outside the College
Kevin and his wife are originally from Washington State and are both passionate about internationalization in higher education. Additionally, Kevin enjoys cooking and baking for friends as well as playing board games.