The numbers are in! At Hope College, our numbers demonstrate our commitment to student-faculty collaborative research and scholarly projects.
Here, inquisitive students work alongside faculty and staff mentors to pursue original research that adds new knowledge and understanding to all academic fields. Through these hands-on projects, students learn more about the world — and about themselves.
- Each spring, hundreds of students present the results of their research projects at Hope’s annual Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creative Performance. In 2015, 360 students presented 229 projects at the Celebration.
- Faculty are consistently awarded funding for their research and scholarship from external agencies and foundations. From July 2014–July 2015, faculty were awarded over $2.5 million to pursue more than 40 projects on topics ranging from nanoscience to Latin-American feminism.
These collaborations contribute to deeper knowledge in every discipline. And they make Hope a national leader in undergraduate research at liberal arts colleges. Check out the research opportunities currently available to students.
Hope’s on-campus research events and programs showcase and support students, faculty and staff:
- Van Wylen Library
- Between the college’s extensive in-house collection of materials and the easy to access online catalogs and databases, the Van Wylen Library is the perfect starting spot for any research. Use the library’s research tools.
- Faculty Research
- Hope College offers pre- and post-award assistance to faculty and staff to support academic scholarship, faculty development, research and curriculum. Visit the Office of Sponsored Research Programs.
- HHMI Program
- The Hope HHMI Program aims to increase the number of students who move from novice researcher to research leader and to train STEM research leaders who are ready to carry out scientific investigations that address the problems of society. It is made possible through the generous support of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
- Celebration of Undergraduate Research & Creative Performance
- With over 300 students participating each year, the Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creative Performance is an annual opportunity to showcase collaborative student-faculty research projects.
- Frost Research Center
- The Frost Research Center and its Office of Institutional Research provide Hope College and other clients with diverse resources and analysis capabilities while engaging in all aspects of the research process.
- Center for Leadership
- Through classes, consulting and incubators, the Center for Leadership provides support and resources to all Hope students looking to co-create and validate social and economic business ventures.
- Klooster Center for Excellence in Writing
- Collaborating with Van Wylen Library research librarians, the Klooster Center for Excellence in Writing provides assistance and instruction to students across the entire research and writing process.
- Joint Archives of Holland
- The Joint Archives of Holland actively collect, interpret, care for and make available archival collects from Hope College, Western Theological Seminary and local government.
- Van Raalte Institute
- Located in the Theil Research Center, the A.C. Van Raalte Institute offers a collection of research focusing on the Dutch and Dutch Americans.
Researching. Educating. Leading.
Hope College has the numbers to prove it.
Stories of scholarship and innovation
The usual “who-are-you-and-what-do-you-do” chatter of an introductory lunch conversation, those ...Read More
Since the summer of 2018, 42 Hope faculty members have ventured away from the college to do what the...Read More
It all started because a giant praying mantis crawled up the side of a parked car. That small creatu...Read More
Chuck Cusack hopes that the viewers of his works will see that there is beauty inherent in mathemati...Read More
Andrew Niedbala has been dancing his way around the world for a few years now as a Hope dance major....Read More
“Me llamo Kelly. ¿Cuál es su nombre?” “Soy Juan.” “¿Juan, cómo está usted?” “No t...Read More
DeWitt Student Cultural Center141 East 12th StreetFloor 2Holland, MI 49423
Hope by the Numbers
- No. 4Research and Creative Activity
Hope is consistently near the top of awarded NSF grants among liberal arts colleges and was ranked fourth for undergraduate research and creative activity by US News & World Report.
- $32.7MExternal Grants to Support Research
Hope College has received $32.7 million in external grants to support research over the past 10 years.
- 350+Student Presenters Each Year
More than 350 students present collaborative research each year.
- 15+Celebration of Undergraduate Research
Hope has held the Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creative Performance for more than 15 years.