The Michigan Stained Glass Census website of the Michigan State University
Museum is featuring the windows of Dimnent Memorial Chapel during January and February of 2010.
Dimnent Memorial Chapel on the campus of Hope College has some of the most impressive stained glass windows in Michigan. Using glass imported from France and Italy, the windows were created by the Hardy Payne Studios in Paterson, N.J. and installed during the building's construction in 1927-29. Four generations of the Hardy family had been members of the Reformed Church in America, the founding denomination of Hope College.
The principal artist was Signor G.A. Zucci, an Austrian from Venice, Italy. He was selected because of his knowledge and skill in European cathedral and antique designs. His draughtmanship and color work received the highest tribute throughout Italy and eastern Europe.
There are six windows each on the north and south sides of the building, a large chancel or lattice window in the background of the stage on the east side and a rose window above the entrance on the west side. The windows highlight Biblical figures accented by medallions and shields significant in church history.
A major preservation and restoration of the windows by the Hauser Art Glass Company of Winona, Minn. occurred in 2000.
Michigan Stained Glass Census Website
Glass Windows of Dimnent Memorial Chapel