Van Vleck Hall
Van Vleck Hall has 21 rooms and houses 38 first- and second-year women.
The building was constructed in 1858 and is the oldest building on campus. Funds for the construction were raised by Dr. Van Raalte during trips to visit Reformed Church congregations in New York and New Jersey. It is named for the Rev. John Van Vleck, the first principal of the Holland Academy.
Van Vleck originally served as dormitory, library and classrooms for the Holland Academy, predecessor of the college. It has survived many fires from the heaters students used at the time. Van Vleck was restored in 1980.
The rooms of Van Vleck have beautiful dark wood window frames, blinds and carpeted floors. Each room has:
- One set of twin size bunk beds (no lofts)
- One extra tall closet and a bureau for roommates to share
- Two three-drawer desks with chairs
- Blinds and a mirror
- Internet available
- Bathrooms are shared, no shelving
Van Vleck’s basement houses a computer lab, laundry room and lounges.