Dr. Brian RiderAssociate Professor of Kinesiology/Health Dynamics Program Director
Brian Rider joined the Hope College faculty in fall 2015. He currently serves as the director of the health dynamics courses and teaches various courses in the kinesiology department.
AREAS OF Expertise
Brian’s research interests include the use of activity monitors to measure and promote physical activity, athlete testing and examining ergogenic aids for enhancing athletic performance.
- Ph.D., kinesiology, University of Tennessee, 2015
Major professor: David R. Bassett, Jr., Ph.D.
- M.S., exercise science, Oakland University, 2011
- B.A., exercise science, Spanish, Adrian College, 2007
HONORS, GRANTS & AWARDS
- Nyhenhuis Summer Faculty Student Collaborative Research Grant (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2022)
- Frost Faculty/Student Collaborative Research Grant (2016–17)
- Edward A. Capen Award, Univeristy of Tennessee (2015)
- Andy Kozar Graduate Research Scholarship Award, University of Tennessee (2015)
- 1st Place Graduate Student Award, Comparative and Experimental Medicine and Public Health Research Symposium, University of Tennessee (2014)
- Chancellors Fellowship, University of Tennessee (2012–2015)
- “The Use of Limb Blood Flow Occlusion for Rehabilitation and Performance,” with G.L. Ditzenberger, B. Cox, A.H.K. Montoye, ACSM’s Health & Fitness Journal (in press)
- “The Effect of Compression Socks on Maximal Exercise Performance and Recovery in Insufficiently Active Adults” with A.H.K. Montoye, A.A. Mithen, H.L. Westra, S.S. Besteman, International Journal of Exercise Science, 14(7), August 2021
- “Examining the Accuracy of the Polar A360 Monitor,” with S.A. Conger, G.L. Ditzenberger, S.S. Besteman, C.M. Bouret, A.M. Coughlin, Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 35(8), August 2021
- “Ischemic Preconditioning Does Not Improve Time Trial Performance in Recreational Runners,” with A.H.K. Montoye, C.J. Mitchinson, O.R. Townsend, C.H. Nemmers, C.N. Serkaian, International Journal of Exercise Science, 13(6), September 2020
- “Exertional (Exercise-Induced) Rhabdomyolysis,” with Adam M. Coughlin, Chad Carlson, Tamara Hew-Butler, ACSM’s Health & Fitness Journal, 23(3), May 2019
- “Effects of television on enjoyment of exercise in college students,” with B.S. Overstreet, K. Strohacker, S.E. Crouter, C.M. Springer, D. Baldwin and D.R. Bassett, International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, April 2017
- “Portable Open-Circuit Spirometry Systems: A Review,” with B.S. Overstreet, D.R. Bassett, S.E. Crouter and B.B. Parr, The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness 57(3), March 2017
- “Psycho-Physiological Effects of TV Viewing During Exercise,” with D.R. Bassett, Jr., K. Strohacker, B.S. Overstreet, E.C. Fitzhugh and H.A. Raynor, Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 15(3), August 2016
- “Detection of lying down, sitting, standing, and stepping using two activPAL monitors,” with D.R. Bassett, Jr., D. John, S.A. Conger, R.M. Passmore and J.M. Clark, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 46.10, 2014
- “Characterization of the effects of the vasopressin V2 receptor on fluid balance and performance during exercise,” with T. Hew-Butler, J. Hummel, J.G. Verballis, American journal of physiology. Regulatory, integrative and comparative physiology, 307(4), 2014
- “Effect of Compression Stockings on Physiological Responses and Running Performance in Division III Collegiate Cross Country Runners During a Maximal Treadmill Test,” with A.M. Coughlin, T. Hew-Butler, B.R. Goslin, The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 28.6, 2014
- “Monitoring Capabilities of the Omron HJ-720ITC Pedometer,” with D.R. Bassett, Jr., D.L. Thompson, E.A. Steeves, H.A Raynor, The Physician and Sportsmedicine, 42.1, 2014
- “Detecting Indoor and Outdoor Environments Using the Actigraph GT3X+ Light Sensor in Children,” with J.I. Flynn, D.P. Coe, C. Larsen, S.A. Conger, and D.R. Bassett, Jr., Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 46.1, 2014
Outside the college
Brian and his wife, Dana, live in Zeeland and attend St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church. They enjoy being outside and exploring nature. They are both runners and love taking their dogs, Sully and Molly, for trail runs. Brian has completed multiple ultra marathons (50k–100 miles) and is training for his first triathlon.
email@example.comDeVos Fieldhouse 222 Fairbanks Avenue Holland, MI 49423