Katherine SullivanProfessor of Art and Department Chair
Katherine Sullivan joined Hope College in 2003 as an assistant professor of art. She has chaired the department of art and art history since 2016.
She teaches courses in painting, figure drawing and color, and originated the department’s capstone course for studio art majors. She teaches first year seminars on art and activism. Her research interests include the body, post-colonial painting and interdisciplinary approaches to color and color theory.
Her most recent paintings incorporate aspects of Indian and Western painting and explore the boundaries between abstract and representational imagery, color and form, and direct and indirect painting technique.
Area of Expertise
Katherine specializes in painting. Her other interests include color and color theory and drawing, particularly figure drawing and depictions of the body across media.
- MFA, Painting and Drawing, Boston University, 2001
- Post-Baccalaureate, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, 1998
- New York Studio School, 1997
- BFA, University of Michigan School of Art and Design, 1997
Honors, Grants & Awards
- 2015, Session chair: "Pursuing Perception: Contemporary Approaches to Color Theory," College Art Association annual conference, New York, NY
- 2013–2014 Fulbright-Nehru Senior Scholar grant
- 2013, GLCA–Mellon Foundation New Directions Initiative grant: "Pursuing Perception: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Color Theory in the 21st Century"
- 2012, GLCA–Mellon Foundation New Directions Initiative Grant: "Open Studio: Image and Text Explorations in Lithography"
- 2013, Wurlitzer Foundation artist residency, Taos, New Mexico
- 2012, Open Studio Lithography residency, Toronto, Canada
- 2009, Virginia Center for Creative Arts residency, Amherst, Virginia
- 2009, Ragdale Foundation artist residency, Lake Forest, Illinois
- 2009, Gros Morne National Park artist residency, Newfoundland, Canada
- 2006, Cooper Union artist residency, New York, NY
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- 2018, "Jamia | Studio," De Pree Art Gallery, Hope College
- 2016, "Dialogue", Flora Kirsch Beck Gallery, Alma College
- 2016, "Darshan | Seeing," Kendall College of Art and Design
- 2015, "Force Drift," Bryan Oliver Gallery, Whitworth University
- 2014, "Outlier," M.F. Husain Gallery, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, India