Dr. Joseph LaPorteProfessor of Philosophy
Joseph joined the Hope faculty in 1998, coming from Amherst, Massachusetts, where he finished his graduate work. He teaches philosophy of science, metaphysics and epistemology for the philosophy curriculum. Joe also enjoys teaching interdisciplinary courses for core credit at the college.
AREAS OF Expertise
Joe writes in the philosophical areas he teaches, especially the philosophy of biology and the philosophy of language.
- Ph.D., philosophy, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 1998
- M.A., philosophy, University College London, 1993
- B.A., philosophy, Franciscan University of Stubenville, 1991
- Summa Cum Laude
- Rigid Designation and Theoretical Identities, Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Rigid Designation and Theoretical Identities has been reviewed by Stephen Schwartz in Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, June 19, 2013.
- Print reviews have appeared elsewhere. The table of contents (briefer version), chapter eight on the skeptical argument concerning psychophysical identities (portions), and the index (complete) are available here.
- Natural Kinds and Conceptual Change, Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- The table of contents and introduction are available online.
- Natural Kinds and Conceptual Change has been reviewed in over a dozen professional journals, including by John Dupré in Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, June 1, 2004.
- “Modern Essentialism for Species and its Animadversions,” The Routledge Handbook of Evolution and Philosophy, edited by Richard Joyce, Routledge, 2017
- "Rigid Designators,” Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 2006; revised substantially in 2016
- “Theoretical Identity Statements, their Truth, and their Discovery,” in The Semantics and Metaphysics of Natural Kinds, edited by H. Beebee and N. Sabbarton-Leary, Routledge, 2010
- The collection is reviewed online
- “Is There a Single Objective, Evolutionary Tree of Life?,” The Journal of Philosophy, 102, 2005
Dr. Joseph LaPorte
firstname.lastname@example.orgLubbers Hall-Room 214 126 East 10th Street Holland, MI 49423-3516