Dr. Jared OrtizAssociate Professor of Religion
Jared Ortiz joined Hope College in 2012. He teaches Catholic theology in the Department of Religion and is founder and executive director of the Saint Benedict Institute, the Catholic spiritual and intellectual center that serves Hope College.
Dr. Ortiz teaches courses on the Incarnation, church history, Catholic Christianity, the theology of the human person and early Christianity. He is currently researching the themes of politics, holiness and disability in Augustine’s City of God.
Areas of expertise
Dr. Ortiz specializes in early Christian theology, especially St. Augustine. He has scholarly interests in liturgy, Latin patristic thought and disability.
- Ph.D., historical theology, The Catholic University of America, 2012
- M.A., historical and systematic theology, The Catholic University of America, 2009
- M.A., liberal arts, St. John’s College, 2005
- B.A., fundamentals: issues and texts, University of Chicago, 2000
Honors, grants and awards
- Haworth Fund Research Grant for “Politics and Sanctity in Augustine’s City of God,” a faculty-student collaborative project, Hope College, summer 2019
- Mellon Grand Challenges Initiative Research Grant for “Augustine on the Body and Disability,” a faculty-student collaborative project, Hope College, summer 2019
- Mellon Grand Challenges Initiative Grant for “Theology of the Human Person” course development in the “Disability in Contemporary Society” collaborative project, Hope College, 2017
- Towsley Research Scholar Fellowship, Hope College 2015–2018
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Scholars Program Award for Mentoring, Hope College, 2015
- With All the Fullness of God: Deification in Christian Traditions, editor, Lexington Press/Fortress Academic, forthcoming
- Deification in the Latin Patristic Tradition, editor, The Catholic University of America Press, 2019
- “You Made Us for Yourself”: Creation in St. Augustine’s Confessions, Fortress Press, 2016
- “Creation in the Confessions” in St. Augustine, The Confessions: Ignatius Critical Editions, 2016
- “Deification in the Latin Fathers,” in Called To Be Children of God: Deification in the Catholic Tradition, edited by Fr. David Meconi, S.J. and Carl E. Olson, Ignatius Press, 2016
- “The Deep Grammar of Augustine’s Conversion,” in Studia Patristica vol. 70, 2013
View all of Jared’s published work at Digital Commons
Outside the College
Jared is a member of St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church in Holland, where he teaches in the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults program, which teaches the faith to newcomers. He is married to Rhonda Ortiz, a writer and graphic designer, and has four children, Benedict, Miriam, Joseph and Leo.