At the library, we like to think of ourselves as a trusted partner on your journey of self-discovery and learning. We offer a range of services, but they all share a common goal: to help you find what you need.
- Ask a Librarian
- Circulation & Borrowing
Van Wylen Library loans materials to the Hope College community and the general public. The Circulation Desk is located on the first floor of the library and is open during all hours of library operation. For assistance, visit us in person, call 395-7905 or send an email to email@example.com.
- Borrow from Other Libraries (ILL)
With Interlibrary Loan (ILL), you can borrow items not owned by Van Wylen Library. Before requesting anything through ILL, make sure to check our library catalog and MeLCat. MeLCat is a statewide lending service that typically sends items faster than traditional ILL does.
- Media-TechLab Services
The Media Services Desk and TechLab are located on the second floor of Van Wylen near the entrance to Van Zoeren Hall.
- Media Services: The place to borrow equipment, buy supplies, including flash drives and earbuds, get your project laminated, bound, or printed in color.
- TechLab: A specialized computer lab, staffed by student tutors, that supports academic technology projects and assists with digital content creation. You can also get help with creating posters, submitting projects for print, or get help with setting up printers.
- Digital Liberal Arts Support
Digital Liberal Arts methodologies and projects are incorporated into scholarship and are often assigned as course projects. For assistance with these projects, please reach out to the Digital Liberal Arts Librarian or check out the TechLab for assistance with technology during open hours.
- Citation & Plagiarism Resources
Need help with citations? The library has you covered!
Citations and Style Formatting
- MLA and APA Help: Tips on citing sources and formatting research papers in MLA or APA format
- Chicago Manual of Style Online: Covers all aspects of academic writing and publishing, including citation guides for notes and bibliographies
- NLM (National Library of Medicine): Style Guide
- ACS (American Chemical Society) Style Guide (print version at Research Help Desk)
- Excelsior OWL: Support for APA, MLA, and Chicago documentation styles
- KnightCite: For quickly generating single MLA, APA, or Chicago Style citations
See all writing style guides available at the library (print versions at Research Help Desk)
Organizing and Keeping Track of Your Sources
- Zotero: A citation management tool that can help with creating citations and storing sources as well as organizing your research through a tagging system, relationship building, note taking, among other features. Find out more here.
- EndNote Web: A cloud-based bibliographic management and source documentation system to help you collect, organize, and use citations (account required using 1Hope email address)
- Equipment Lending
We have MacBooks, Chromebooks, iPads, video cameras, adapters and other equipment for you to borrow. Ask at the 1st Floor Circulation desk.
- Printing at the Library
Black-and-white printers are located on the 1st and 2nd floors of the library. Printing is free from the library's public computers, but there are limits of 100 pages per print job and 25 copies per print job.
To print using your own computer, follow these instructions.
For color printing, two walk-up print stations are available at the Digital Media Lab on the 2nd floor. A maximum of 50 color copies may be printed and there is a charge for printing. We accept cash, credit or department charge only.
For larger quantities of color printing or poster printing needs, please submit a print order with Campus Print and Mail Services.
- Wireless Access (Wi-Fi)