At the library, we like to think of ourselves as a trusted partner on your journey of self-discovery and learning. We offer a range of services, but they all share a common goal: to help you find what you need.
- Ask a Librarian
- Circulation & Borrowing
Van Wylen Library loans materials to the Hope College community and the general public. The Circulation Desk is located on the first floor of the library and is open during all hours of library operation. For assistance, visit us in person, call 395-7905 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Borrow from Other Libraries (ILL)
With Interlibrary Loan (ILL), you can borrow items not owned by Van Wylen Library. Before requesting anything through ILL, make sure to check our library catalog and MeLCat. MeLCat is a statewide lending service that typically sends items faster than traditional ILL does.
- Media & Project Services
The Media Services Desk and TechLab are located on the second floor of Van Wylen near the entrance to Van Zoeren Hall.
- Media Services: The place to borrow equipment, buy supplies, including flash drives and earbuds, get your project laminated, bound, or printed in color.
- TechLab: A specialized computer lab, staffed by student tutors, that supports academic technology projects and assists with digital content creation. You can also get help with creating posters, submitting projects for print, or get help with setting up printers.
- Digital Liberal Arts Support
Digital Liberal Arts methodologies and projects are incorporated into scholarship and are often assigned as course projects. For assistance with these projects, please reach out to the Digital Liberal Arts Librarian or check out the TechLab for assistance with technology during open hours.
- Citation & Plagiarism Resources
Need help with citations? The library has you covered!
Citations and Style Formatting
- MLA and APA Help: Tips on citing sources and formatting research papers in MLA or APA format
- Chicago Manual of Style Online: Covers all aspects of academic writing and publishing, including citation guides for notes and bibliographies
- NLM (National Library of Medicine): Style Guide
- ACS (American Chemical Society) Style Guide (print version at Research Help Desk)
- Excelsior OWL: Support for APA, MLA, and Chicago documentation styles
- KnightCite: For quickly generating single MLA, APA, or Chicago Style citations
See all writing style guides available at the library (print versions at Research Help Desk)
Organizing and Keeping Track of Your Sources
- Zotero: A citation management tool that can help with creating citations and storing sources as well as organizing your research through a tagging system, relationship building, note taking, among other features. Find out more here.
- EndNote Web: A cloud-based bibliographic management and source documentation system to help you collect, organize, and use citations (account required using 1Hope email address)
- Using Tech at the Library
The TechLab is a place to utilize project software and get help from trained students. It is especially useful for creating presentations and editing images.
Equipment Lending: We have MacBooks, Chromebooks, iPads, video cameras, adapters and other gadgets available for you to borrow. Ask for them at the second floor Media Services Desk.
Printing: There are public printers on the first and second floors of the library. To print to them using your own computer, follow these instructions.
Wireless: WiFi is available throughout the library. To gain access, use the network key.