Digital Media Lab
Van Wylen Library's Digital Media Lab (DML), located on the 2nd floor, is staffed by student tutors and is open to all Hope College faculty, staff, and students.
Specific lab capabilities include self-serve audio/video editing, image manipulation, graphic design, research poster layout and basic productivity (e.g., MS Office and Adobe Acrobat Pro). The lab provides access to color and large format poster printing, lamination, binding, book scanners and Ellison Die Cuts. We also offer a small supply of items for sale.
- Scanning, Printing and Digitization
- Scan documents, photos, slides and filmstrips
- Edit scanned documents with Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Assistance with the book scanners
- Color and oversize printing from the Digital Media Lab computers
- Create and submit posters for print
- Edit jobs for printing at Campus Print and Mail Services
We have four options at Van Wylen Library. If you need help, please ask for assistance at the Digital Media Lab.
Library 2nd floor PRINT/SCAN stations
- Best for paper documents
- Scan as .pdf (email or print)
- No books, please
Scannx Book Scanner
Library 2nd floor near Curriculum Library
- Great for small to medium books
- Scan as .pdf (email, Google Drive or print)
- Accessibility tools available
Indus Book Scanner
At the Digital Media Lab
- Ideal for large-format objects: books, maps, newspapers and photos
- Scan as .pdf (email or print)
At the Digital Media Lab computer stations
- Best for photos
- Adapter for 35mm film and slides
- Can manage resolution settings
- Supplies for Sale
- Résumé paper
- Colored paper and cardstock
- Note cards/Post-it Notes
- Poster boards
- Media: Blank CD-ROMs, DVDs, and flash drives
We only accept cash and debit/credit cards for payment.
- Consulting & Workshops
Our Digital Media Lab works closely with the Digital Liberal Arts Librarian offering additional support with classroom projects. We will offer drop-in workshops and virtual one-on-one consultations. The design of our lab offers a variety of workstations equipped with several program options for project creation and editing. We offer a Sound Room which includes an individual studio space with materials so students can engage in multimedia podcast recording/editing, in addition to Sibelius and Finale software for music creation.
Our staff is highly skilled across a broad range of media and computing topics. For in depth, one-on-one help designing, creating, or troubleshooting media projects, connect with DML@hope.edu to schedule a consulting session.
- DML Workstations
The Digital Media Lab contains 8 computer workstations, 4 Macs, and 4 PCs, some of which include flatbed scanners and additional equipment. The lab workstations are available for use during library hours. Each workstation has the following software available:
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Chalk & Wire (for Education Majors)
- Inspiration (for Education Majors on PCs only)
- SPSS Statistics
- Equipment Borrowing
Any patron with an active HOPE ID may borrow equipment from the circulation desk on the 1st floor of the library. Borrowing durations range from 4 hours to 4 days; Education Teacher toolkits are available for 2 weeks (for Ed Majors Only). Some items are limited to in-lab use only. Please check with staff for any restrictions.
- Sound Room
An enclosed project room is available with high-quality audio / video recording. The studio accommodates 1–4 people and includes an iMac, a green screen, podcasting equipment, and keyboard for music.
The key is available for check-out at the Digital Media Lab.
- Need active HOPE ID.
- No Food or Drink allowed in the room.
Van Wylen Library53 Graves PlaceHolland , MI 49423