Deirdre D. Johnston, Ph.D.
Areas: Persuasion, Interpersonal Communication, Conflict,
Mass Media Effects, and Motherhood Research
Dr. Johnston began her study of Communication at Drake University, where she acquired her BA in Journalism in 1983. Her MA in Communication was completed at the University of Texas in 1985, and she earned her Ph.D. in Communication at the University of Iowa in 1988.
Courses taught by Dr. Johnston
- COMM 101. Introduction to the Communication Process
- COMM 210. Interpersonal Communication
- COMM 280. Research Methods
- COMM 360. The Art & Science of Persuasion
- COMM 371. Communication Across Differences: Intercultural & Gender
- COMM 460. Communication Theory
Recent publications by Dr. Johnston
include: (click on title for link to full text version of article)
- Johnston, D.D. Global Communication (in
- VanderStoep, S. and Johnston, D. Research Methods for Everyday
Life: Blending Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches. Jossey-Bass,
Work History in the Construction of Adult Daughter's Worker-Mother
Discursive Strategies." (in Sociological
Focus, Vol. 41, No. 2, May 2008; with Dr.
Debra H. Swanson and Dr. Donald A. Luidens)
Acrobatics in the Construction of the Worker-Mother
Identity" (in Sex Roles, Vol. 57, Nos. 5/6, July 2007; with Dr.
Debra H. Swanson)
- "Where Are the Mommies?: A Content
Analysis of Women's Magazines" (in Lorin B. Arnold
Communication: Theory and Research, Pearson Education,
2007; with Dr. Debra H. Swanson)
the 'Good Mother': The Experience of Mothering Ideologies by Work
Status" (in Sex Roles: A
Journal of Research, Vol. 54, Nos. 7/8, April 2006; with Dr.
Debra H. Swanson)
Hating Moms: The Internalization of Mother War Rhetoric" (in Sex Roles: A Journal of Research, Vol.
51, Nos. 9/10, Nov. 2004; with Dr. Debra H. Swanson)
in the Ivy Tower: Interviews with Academic Mothers" (in Journal of Association for Research on Mothering, December 2003; with Dr. Debra H. Swanson).
Mothers: A Content Analysis of Motherhood Ideologies and Myths
in Magazines" (in Sex Roles: A Journal of Research, Vol. 49, July 2003; with Dr. Debra H. Swanson).
Mothers: A Content Analysis of the Representation of Mothers in
Magazines" (in Mass
Communication & Society, Vol. 6, 2003; with Dr. Debra H. Swanson).
- "Adolescents' Motivations for Viewing Graphic
Horror" (in: Human Communication Research, 21, 522-551,
- The Art and Science of Persuasion. McGraw-Hill
Dr. Johnston's Curriculum Vitae
Dr. Johnston's Administrative Vitae