hope college > campus offices > campus safety    

Emergency Guide
Clery Act Information

Incident Report

Campus Map
Transportation Information

Parking Information

Motor Vehicle Regulations

Campus Safety enforces the parking regulations set forth by Hope College. It is the responsibility of each student (living on or off campus) or staff member who utilizes the campus parking facilities to know the Motor Vehicle Regulations. You may pick up a printed copy of the regulations at Campus Safety.

Motor Vehicle Registration

All student registration for Fall 2015 only can be completed online.

Short-term and visitor permits can be obtained in person at the Campus Safety office at any time.

Faculty/Staff registration can be completed online.

You will need to know your vehicle information including license plate number, make, model, year, and color to complete the registration. Students pay for their permits at the time of registration through the online form.

Please be sure to pick up your permit as soon as possible from the Campus Safety office. Motor Vehicle Registrations are not valid until the permit is properly displayed on vehicle.

As always, we are open 24/7, so please feel free to stop in or call anytime.

Motor Vehicle is defined as an automobile, motorcycle, moped, or motorized vehicle of any type.

Parking Citation Appeals

Parking citations are issued for infractions of established College Parking regulations. These regulations may be viewed online or you may pick up a copy of the parking regulations at the Campus Safety Office. Appeals must be submitted in writing within 30 calendar days of the violation date. Appeals which are submitted more than 30 calendar days after the violation date will not be considered. All appeals are completed online.

You may appeal a parking citation here.

Frequently Asked Questions

1.  Who needs to receive a parking permit?
Any commuting or resident student, Faculty/Staff member, or Visitor choosing to park a vehicle on Hope's Campus must obtain and display a parking permit.

2. I have permanently switched vehicles.  What do I do?
Remove the permit from your old vehicle and bring it to the Campus Safety office. We have scrapers available to make it easier to remove the permit. Campus Safety will issue you a new permit, at no cost, for the other vehicle.
3. I have temporarily switched vehicles.  What do I do?
Campus Safety can issue you a special permit for your temporary vehicle. This permitis available at no charge. Campus Safety is open 24/7, so you may stop in at any time.

4. Can I return my permit if I don't need it?
This depends on the time of year and the situation. Please call our office for more information.

5. If I have a permit for fall, will I need to buy a new one for Spring?   
Each permit is valid for the entire academic year. If you have moved housing (ex: Residence Hall to Cottage), you may be required to obtain a cottage permit if space allows in your driveway.

6. What if I am only attending Hope for the fall semester?
Prior to departing campus at the end of the semester, you need to remove your permit and return it to Campus Safety for it to be Voided. Your student account will be credited for the spring semester.

7. When can I park in Faculty/Staff spots?
Student parking is allowed in Faculty/Staff spaces after 5:00 pm until 2:00 am Mon-Fri and 7:00 am until 2:00 am Sat-Sun. You may NOT park overnight in any of the F/S spaces.  If you need to leave your vehicle overnight, you will need to move the vehicle to a Student lot. If you have any questions, please contact us at 616-395-7770.

8. When can I park in Visitor spots?
Visitor spaces are reserved strictly for visitors to Hope's campus. All students registered for classes, whether registered for a parking permit or not, and Faculty/Staff members are NOT considered Visitors to campus. There is NO overnight parking in Visitor spaces.