|hope college > campus offices > residential life & housing|
Van Vleck Hall
Located at 116 E. 10th Street Van Vleck hall is named for the Rev. John Van Vleck, the first principal of the Holland Academy. The building was constructed in 1858 and is the oldest building on campus. Funds for the construction were raised by Dr. Van Raalte during trips to visit Reformed Church congregations in New York and New Jersey. It originally served as dormitory, library and class rooms for the Holland Academy, predecessor of the college. It has survived many fires that occurred from the heaters students used at the time. Van Vleck was restored in 1980.
Van Vleck Hall has 21 rooms and can house 38 freshman and sophomore female students. Each room has one set of twin size bunk beds (no lofts), one extra tall closet and a bureau for roommates to share, two 3-drawer desks with chairs, a phone and a mirror. The rooms of Van Vleck have beautiful dark wood window frames with blinds and all room floors are carpeted. There is a computer lab, laundry room, and lounges in Van Vleck.
Click HERE to read about the history of Hope's oldest building in the Spring 2008 issue of the Joint Archives Quarterly.