Through the unique, 20-credit Environmental Studies minor, you will holistically understand nature and grow in competence for caring for the environment.
The goals of the Environmental Studies program are to:
- Increase understanding of how the world works as a bio-physical system, foster awareness of the earth's vital signs, and sharpen the ability of students to understand the nature and results of science.
- Encourage a critical understanding of the various historical, political, economic, ethical and religious forces that have shaped and continue to shape our world.
- Nurture an ecological frame of mind which is willing and able to see things whole and thus resist the narrow specialization that can blind us to the connections between disciplines and bodies of knowledge.
- Cultivate people who have sufficient knowledge, care and practical competence to live in an ecologically responsible way.
- Provide opportunities for students to explore the connections between environmental issues and different religious and philosophical traditions, and to encourage students who are Christian to reflect on their faith and its vision of shalom.
High School studentS
Contact the Admissions Office to request additional information about the Environmental Studies minor.
Related Organizations and ProgramsAu Sable Institute of Environmental Studies
Lubbers Hall126 East 10th StreetRoom 106Holland, MI 49423