Pre-Arrival - What's next?
We’re so excited that you will be joining the Hope College community! As part of Hope’s student population, you’ll need to complete a few forms before arriving in beautiful Holland, Michigan.
- Arrival Form
- Please make sure to fill out the Arrival Form we send to you once your deposit is paid. This will come as a separate email link to your 1Hope email account and it will request your travel and arrival information.
- Host Family Application
Our host families are an important part of some of our international students’ visits. By connecting with a host family, you’re able to experience American life in a different way than you would on-campus.
- The Host Family Program at Hope College allows you an opportunity to interact with local families and a chance to experience ‘typical’ American life away from a college campus. We encourage all of our international and TCK students to participate in this non-residential program. You’ll be matched with a host family based on similar interests.
- Are you interested in connecting with a host family? Download the application.
- Health Insurance
- Hope College has an agreement with a health provider, and all students must have health insurance that meets the same standards. See a full explanation of these standards on our Hope College Student Health Insurance page.
The U.S. immigration regulations might seem daunting — we’re here to help! We have some helpful guidelines for visiting the U.S. embassy to apply for your visa. For even more information, refer to the U.S. Department of State.
- Hope College I-20 or DS-2019 Request Form
- All incoming international students (degree-seeking, transfer and exchange) must submit the Hope College I-20 or DS-2019 Request Form and provide the required documentation. Once this has been submitted, your I-20 or DS-2019 will be created and mailed to you. Please be sure to follow all instructions provided.
- SEVIS I-901 Fee
Students seeking a F-1 Visa from an embassy or a consulate abroad for initial attendance to Hope College are required to pay a $200 application fee. Exchange visitors seeking a J-1 Visa are required to pay a $180 application fee. It is critical that each visa applicant pay the fee prior to interviewing at the U.S. embassy or consulate. You will be required to show a receipt (proof of payment) at the time of your interview.
Payment methods can be found on the SEVIS website. When paying for the I-901, you will be asked for the school code for Hope College:
- F Visa Applicants: DET214F00329000
- J Visa Applicants: P-1-04386
- INTERVIEW TIPS
In addition to gathering the necessary documents and forms, we encourage you to prepare for your interview with the U.S. embassy/consulate. You may want to give some special thought to your:
- Foreign residence and ties to a community
- Intention to return to the place of foreign residence
- Ability to financially support yourself (and family if included) while in the U.S.
- NAFSA Tips
- ARRIVAL & PORT OF ENTRY
- Please visit the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website for arrival information.
- Transfer Students
You must transfer your SEVIS record to Hope College if any of the following apply:
- You are currently enrolled in a college, university or high school in the U.S.
- You have recently graduated from a college, university or high school in the U.S.
- You have completed or are completing a period of Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Academic Training (AT)
- You are currently in valid F-1 or J-1 status, even if you are outside the U.S.
You do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again!
Instructions for transferring SEVIS record
- Ask your current (or previous) institution's International Student Advisor to complete the SEVIS Transfer-In Form. It is also included in the I-20 or DS-2019 Request Form.
- Submit your SEVIS Transfer-In Form with your I-20 or DS-2019 Request Form.
SEVIS transfer deadlines
- F-1 students: within 60 days of the program end date on the I-20 or within 60 days of the OPT end date.
- J-1 students: by the program end date on the DS-2019.
Please note: You may no longer work on your current campus after the release date.
To complete the transfer process, you are required to contact the Hope College Center for Global Engagement within 15 days of the program start date listed on your SEVIS I-20. This obligation is fulfilled by attending the mandatory International Student & TCK Pre-Orientation program provided by the Center for Global Engagement.
The International & TCK Pre-Orientation begins on Friday, August 18, and is mandatory for all incoming international and exchange students. Third-culture kids are welcome to join, too. During your orientation, we’ll address the academic culture at Hope College, health and safety, immigration, campus services and student activities.
- Explore Michigan: August 19–21, 2017
- Our International and TCK Pre-Orientation includes a trip to Northern Michigan, where our new students can experience all the beauty that our state has to offer! We’ll hike Sleeping Bear Dunes on Lake Michigan and tour Mackinac Island, where we’ll use tandem bikes to get around. Expect go-kart racing, s’more roasting, kayaking, rock climbing, swimming and more. This trip is required for all new international students and any TCK students attending orientation. The cost (transportation, lodging and meals) is covered by the college.
- International & TCK Pre-Orientation Schedule: August 18-25, 2017
For more detailed information about our schedule, view the complete International & TCK Student Orientation schedule.
Friday, August 18
- Welcome and Introduction
- Logistics Session
Saturday August 19–Monday, August 21 Explore Michigan! Trip Tuesday, August 22
- Immigration Session
- Academic Session
- Scavenger Hunt
Wednesday, August 23
- Academic Session
- Immigration Session
- Trip to Downtown Holland
Thursday, August 24
- Cultural Adjustment Session
- Academic Session
- Dinner at Kollen Park
Friday, August 25
- Meet Hope College Orientation Leaders
- Open Office Hours
- Orientation Finale
- International Family Orientation: August 18–25, 2017
- You are invited to join us at Hope College for the International Family Orientation — a great opportunity to see our campus and to meet key people that your student will be interacting with during their time at Hope College. Please visit the International Family Orientation page for more specific information regarding this orientation.
Martha Miller Center257 Columbia AvenueRoom 107Holland, MI 49423