Historians are society’s storytellers — and its most vital critics. They work at finding the truth about the past and pay close attention to the diversity of the human experience.
History students at Hope cultivate a deeper understanding of the past through rigorous courses with first-rate teachers. You can expect your professors to know you by name, and you can develop the best learning experience for you — whether working one-on-one with faculty on a research project based on your interests or gaining valuable workplace skills through a local internship.
We prepare our scholars for leadership and service in a global society through on-campus mentorship opportunities and complementary off-campus study programs.
Within our two major and two minor programs we:
- Offer courses that cover a wide range of time periods, regions and themes
- Make writing a significant component of all coursework
- Emphasize the critical analysis of primary sources as part of historical research
- Engage students in collaborative research experiences with faculty members
- Cultivate a diverse scholarly community
Students can join Phi Alpha Theta, the history honor society, apply for scholarships and attend monthly department colloquia. Every year we support student presentations at the Celebration for Undergraduate Research and Creative Performance and honor students through various departmental awards.
Recent student summer scholarship
- Hope College Returns to Vietnam – May Term 2022
- Art, History, and Global Citizenship in Paris – May Term 2022
- Vienna Summer School – June Term 2022
- The Ottawa County Poor Farm: New Perspectives from Data Analytics and Local/Digital History
Recent Blog Posts
Hearing about the man who’d dedicated his life to eliminating the cancer of slavery from the Un...Read More
Written by Fred L. Johnson III, Ph.D., Twelve weeks of relentless pounding by Virginia’s brutal...Read More
The postRead More
The postRead More
New Perspectives from Data Analytics and Local/Digital History This off-site presentation is a co...Read More
The time has come: Spring 2023 courses are here! Registration begins on November 7th Take a ...Read More
Hope by the Numbers
93% of history grads are employed within six months of graduationSee what our grads are doing
- 83%First choice of grad school
83% of history grads pursuing graduate school are accepted into their first choice
- ½+Internship or research
More than half of history students participate in experiential learning through an internship or student-faculty researchGet involved
Twelve scholarships are available for history students in their senior yearLearn about our scholarships