Every year, we are delighted to award our students for their hard work in the department.
Recipients of the awards are announced at the annual Honors Convocation in April and celebrated at a departmental award ceremony.
- Roger Rietberg Chapel Choir Award
- The Roger Rietberg Chapel Choir Award was created by members, alumni and friends of the Hope College Choir to honor Roger Rietberg. The recipient must be a senior and have been a member of the choir for at least two years. The recipient must exemplify commitment and dedication, a love for the musical mission of the choir and a spirit that has proved to be an example for the other members. He or she should carry an attitude of concern for all the members of the choir and should be looked at with respect as a leader and a friend.
- Chapel Choir Exemplary Service Award
- This award recognizes seniors who have been active participants in Chapel Choir for three years or more. These members have demonstrated leadership and commitment to the ensemble.
- Wind Ensemble Achievement Award
- The Wind Ensemble Achievement Award is given to a senior music major who has participated in Wind Ensemble for at least three years. In addition to being an outstanding performer, the student also demonstrates a willingness to go above and beyond the call of duty in assisting the ensemble.
- Jazz Studies Award
- The Jazz Studies Area awards a prize consisting two books, Reading Jazz and Thinking in Jazz, to the student that has developed the most as a jazz musician and has demonstrated leadership among his or her peers.
- Mabel Nienhuis Award in Applied Music
- The Mabel Nienhuis Award in Applied Music is given to three music majors who at the close of their freshman year receive the highest rating in their jury examinations. One award each will be given in the areas of keyboard, voice and instrumental music to be used for the applied music fees of the sophomore year.
- Herman & Elizabeth Ritsema Music Scholarship
- A scholarship established by Herman and Elizabeth Ritsema in honor of their sons, Herb, Harold and Dan, who were music majors at Hope College. Preference will be given to returning Hope students who play brass or woodwind instruments and who are active in one of Hope’s performing ensembles.
- Donald Weener Memorial Award
- This fund provides piano scholarships in the Department of Music for deserving students. Funded by friends and family in loving memory of Donald Weener.
- Eleanor J. Palma Piano Award
- This fund provides piano scholarships in the Department of Music to students who are deserving on the basis of achievement and financial need. Funded by friends and family in loving memory of Eleanor J. Palma, adjunct assistant professor of music.
- Jean Palmer Music Award
- This fund provides piano awards in the Department of Music to students who are deserving on the basis of talent, achievement and financial need. Funded by friends in loving memory of Jean A. Palmer, a friend of the music department.
- Claryce Rozeboom Memorial Scholarship in Organ
- A fund contributed in memory of Miss Claryce Rozeboom, a member of the Class of 1953, the Claryce Rozeboom Memorial Scholarship in Organ is awarded to a member of the junior or senior class who, in the opinion of the music faculty, best qualifies on the basis of talent and financial need.
- David Roossien Award in Organ
- The Roossien Award was established by David P. Roossien of Holland, Michigan, to recognize an organ student who, in the opinion of the organ faculty, has demonstrated outstanding improvement, and a commitment to further studies in the field of traditional church music.
- Marie Blauwkamp Organ Scholarship Fund
- The Marie Blauwkamp Award was established by Marie Blauwkamp of Zeeland, Michigan, to recognize an organ student who, in the opinion of the organ faculty, has demonstrated outstanding commitment to further studies in the field of traditional church music.
- Grace Marguerite Browning Award in Voice
- Awarded by the music department to the junior or senior who is a music major and has spent at least one year of resident study in the music department. The award is given to the junior or senior who, in the judgment of the department, best qualifies on the basis of talent and potentialities.
- Robert W. Cavanaugh Scholarship in Voice
- An award given each year to the sophomore music student who, in the opinion of the music faculty, has proved most worthy in terms of his or her academic record and superior work in the study of voice.
- Joyce Morrison Voice Scholarship
- The Joyce M. Morrison Scholarship is presented annually to the most promising freshman vocalist who has expressed an intention to pursue a career in classical voice, as determined by the chairperson of the voice division of the Department of Music.
General Music Awards
- Robert W. Cavanaugh Senior Music Award
- An award given to a music major in the senior class who, in the judgment of the music faculty, has demonstrated unusual interest and achievement, and has contributed significantly to the music program. Established by Robert W. Cavanaugh’s family, former students and friends in recognition of his contribution to the Department of Music of Hope College and his Christian commitment.
- Music Education Senior Achievement Award
- The Music Education Achievement Award is given to a senior music education major who has demonstrated excellence in academic, musical and teaching achievement, as well as in professional dispositions and behavior. In addition, the recipient has made a significant contribution to the music education program, through exceptional dedication, creativity and collegiality.
- Anthony Kooiker Senior Seminar Award
- The Anthony Kooiker Senior Seminar Award was established in 1999 in Honor of Dr. Anthony Kooiker, former chair of the department and now professor emeritus of music. Professor Kooiker played an important role in the formation of the senior seminar course, and taught it for many years. The award is made to that student who, in the opinion of the faculty, made the most serious contribution to the course, especially as evidenced in the final research paper.
Miller Center for Musical Arts221 Columbia AvenueHolland, MI 49423