Psychology internships at Hope are academic semester-long, supervised, pre-professional experiences related to psychology and your vocation.
You’ll pursue agreed-upon learning goals in a written learning contract, be supervised on-site, complete weekly written assignments, complete a site-specific project and participate in a class on campus for academic credit.
- 1 – Identify internships of interest to you
- Examine available internship opportunities found on Handshake. To do this, use the search option (under the job & internship tab) on Handshake and type “psychology internships.” The Hope College psychology department listing will come up under Hope College On-Campus Employment. The department will have additional details on the available opportunities.
- 2 – Apply for internships of interest
- Once you have identified the internships that interest you, complete the internship application form
- Make an appointment to speak with the internship faculty supervisor and email the form to her
- The faculty supervisor will meet with you to discuss your internship options and help you identify the internships that are the best matches for your skills, needs and interests
- 3 – Set up your internship site
- The faculty supervisor will give you the contact information for the internship sites that best match your goals and interests
- Create a resume and cover email (find information from the Boerigter Center for Calling and Career on writing a resume and cover email)
- Send cover email and resume to potential internship supervisor(s)
- Set up an appointment to meet with potential internship supervisor(s)
- 4 – Registering for and finalizing the internship
Once you have been accepted by an internship site:
- Report this acceptance to the faculty supervisor
- Complete the registration form for students who have a secured internship and turn it in to the Registrar's Office.
If you do not have an approved internship at the time of registration, complete the permission slip for students without a secured internship and turn it in to the Registrar's Office. Once your internship is secured you must complete and turn in the form for students who have a secured internship.
- 5 – Write a contract
- Once the semester has started you will work with your internship supervisor to create a contract.
A. Paul Schaap Science Center35 East 12th StreetRoom 1110Holland, MI 49423