Dr. Charles CusackProfessor of Computer Science and Mathematics
Chuck Cusack has been teaching in the Department of Computer Science at Hope since 2005 and began a joint appointment in the Department of Mathematics & Statistics in 2016. His favorite classes are theoretical/mathematical ones, especially those related to discrete mathematics, data structures and algorithms.
He is in charge of the Computer Science Help Center.
Areas of expertise
Chuck’s current research interests include algorithms, graph theory and combinatorics. In recent years, his focus has been on problems related to graph pebbling, which can be used to model certain network optimization problems and has ties to number theory, as well as to some fundamental questions at the core of computer science. He uses both mathematical and algorithmic approaches in his work. He is particularly interested in something called Lemke graphs, and how they relate to an open problem in graph theory referred to as Graham's Conjecture.
- Ph.D., computer science, University of Nebraska–Lincoln, 2000
- M.S., computer science, University of Nebraska–Lincoln, 1998
- M.S., discrete mathematics, Michigan Technological University, 1994
- B.S., pure mathematics, Michigan Technological University, 1992
- “Graph Pebbling Algorithms and Lemke Graphs,” with A. Green, M. Powers and A. Bekmetjev, Discrete Applied Mathematics, 262, 2019
- “Two-pebbling and odd-two-pebbling are not equivalent,” with M. Powers and A. Bekmetjev, Discrete Mathematics, 342 (3), 2019
- “Doppelgangers and Lemke graphs,” with M. Powers and A. Bekmetjev, Discrete Mathematics, 341(10), 2018
- “Multidesigns of Complete Graphs for Graph-Triples of Order 6,” with S.E. Edwards and D.B. Parker, Journal of Combinatorial Mathematics and Combinatorial Computing, 94, 2015
- “The complexity of pebbling reachability and solvability in planar and outerplanar graphs,” with T. Lewis and L. Dion, Discrete Applied Mathematics, 172, 2014
View all of Charles Cusack’s published work on Digital Commons.
Outside the college
Chuck is a Lego artist, a disc golfer and a runner. He is an active member of the Holland Running Club and has served as the treasurer for the club in recent years.