Jessica HronchekAssociate Librarian - Head of Collections and Access
Jessica Hronchek began her work at Van Wylen Library in 2009. She is a research and instruction librarian and liaison to the visual and performing arts departments on campus, providing research support, information literacy instruction and collection development for these departments and the general education program. Her research interests include information literacy pedagogy, information need in the creative arts and training for peer-assisted library support.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Information literacy – What does it look like to navigate the information landscape effectively and thoughtfully, and how do we teach this to students?
- Research support in the visual and performing arts – What are the unique information needs of creative performers/scholars?
- Art copyright – How do we legally use the creations of others while having the resources needed to advance creative knowledge?
- Research desk assistant training – How can the library leverage peer-to-peer learning to provide better access to library resources?
- MLS in library science and M.A. in art history, Indiana University, Bloomington, 2009
- B.M. in vocal performance and B.A. in art history, Lawrence University, 2005
HONORS, GRANTS, AWARDS, & PUBLISHED WORK
- Undergraduate Research Assistants at Hope College,” with Rachel Bishop, in Peer-assisted Learning in Academic Libraries, edited by Erin Rinto, John Watts and Rosan Mitola, Libraries Unlimited, forthcoming
- “Assessment A la Carte: Using Small Scale Citation Analysis Projects to Shape Library Instruction,” with Todd Wiebe, presentation at the Michigan Library Association Academic Libraries Conference, Lansing, Michigan, May 30, 2014
- “Assessing History Student Research Activity and Learning Outcomes through the Understanding Library Impacts Project,” poster presentation at the Michigan Library Association Academic Libraries Conference, Traverse City, Michigan, May 16, 2013
- “Scavenging for Research Ingredients,” in The Discovery Tool Cookbook, edited by Nancy Fawley and Nikki Krysak, Association of College and Research Libraries, 2016
Jessica is a singer by training and continues to express her musical side through performing with the Holland Chorale. She also enjoys cooking and gardening. She, her husband and two boys like to explore the outdoors in beautiful Western Michigan.