Dr. Brian RiderAssistant Professor of Kinesiology
Brian Rider joined the Hope College faculty in fall 2015. He currently serves as the director of the health dynamics courses and teaches various courses in the kinesiology department.
AREAS OF INTEREST
Brian’s research interests include the use of activity monitors to measure and promote physical activity, athlete testing and performance, and increasing perceptual responses to exercise.
- Ph.D., kinesiology, University of Tennessee, 2015
Major professor: David R. Bassett, Jr., Ph.D.
- M.S., exercise science, Oakland University, 2011
- B.A., exercise science, Spanish, Adrian College, 2007
HONORS, GRANTS & AWARDS
- Frost Faculty/Student Collaborative Research Grant ($1,872) (2017)
- Nyhenhuis Summer Faculty Student Collaborative Research Grant ($7,200) (2017)
- Frost Faculty/Student Collaborative Research Grant ($1,986 )(2016)
- Edward A. Capen Award (Univeristy of Tennessee) ($100) (2015)
- Andy Kozar Graduate Research Scholarship Award (University of Tennessee) ($1,000) (2015)
- 1st Place Graduate Student Award, Comparative and Experimental Medicine and Public Health Research Symposium (University of Tennessee) ($1,000) (2014)
- Chancellors Fellowship (University of Tennessee) ($10,000/year) (2012-2015)
- Outstanding Graduate Presentation (oral) at Midwest ACSM ($150) (2010)
- Provost’s Graduate Student Research Grant (Oakland University) ($1,500) (2010)
- “Effects of television on enjoyment of exercise in college students,” with B.S. Overstreet, K. Strohacker, S.E. Crouter, C.M. Springer, D. Baldwin and D.R. Bassett, International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, April 2017
- “Portable Open-Circuit Spirometry Systems: A Review,” with B.S. Overstreet, D.R. Bassett, S.E. Crouter and B.B. Parr, THe Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness57(3), March 2017
- “Psycho-Physiological Effects of TV Viewing During Exercise,” with D.R. Bassett, Jr., K. Strohacker, B.S. Overstreet, E.C. Fitzhugh and H.A. Raynor, Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 15(3), August 2016
- “Self-reported Behaviors and Preferences of Participants in a Financially Incentivized Worksite Wellness Program,” with P.L. Schneider, S.S. Saunders and D.R. Bassett, Jr., International Journal of Health Promotion and Education, May 2016
- “Financial Incentives for Physical Activity: Effects of Reinforcement Structures,” with D.R. Bassett, Jr., D.L. Thompson, E.C. Fitzhugh, H.A. Raynor and S. Looney, Journal of Clinical Trial Results 1(1), August 2015
- “Monitoring Capabilities of the Omron HJ-720ITC Pedometer,” with D.R. Bassett, Jr., D.L. Thompson, E.A. Steeves, H.A Raynor, The Physician and Sportsmedicine, 42.1, 2014
- “Effect of Compression Stockings on Physiological Responses and Running Performance in Division III Collegiate Cross Country Runners During a Maximal Treadmill Test,” with A.M. Coughlin, T. Hew-Butler, B.R. Goslin, The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 28.6, 2014
- “Detecting Indoor and Outdoor Environments Using the Actigraph GT3X+ Light Sensor in Children,” with J.I. Flynn, D.P. Coe, C. Larsen, S.A. Conger, and D.R. Bassett, Jr., Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 46.1, 2014
- “Detection of lying down, sitting, standing, and stepping using two activPAL monitors,” with D.R. Bassett, Jr., D. John, S.A. Conger, R.M. Passmore and J.M. Clark, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 46.10, 2014
- “Characterization of the effects of the vasopressin V2 receptor on fluid balance and performance during exercise,” with T. Hew-Butler, J. Hummel, J.G. Verballis, American journal of physiology. Regulatory, integrative and comparative physiology, 307(4), 2014
Outside the college
Brian is married to Dana Rider. The two live in Holland, attend St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church, and enjoy being outside and exploring nature. They are both runners and love taking their dogs Sophie and Sully for trail runs. Brian has completed three ultra marathons and will be attempting his first 100-miler in September.