Dr. Darin StephensonProfessor of Mathematics
Darin Stephenson has been at Hope since 1997. He has taught more than 20 different courses in the Department of Mathematics, the GEMS program and the First Year Seminar program.
From 2008 to 2011, he served on the executive committee of the Michigan Section of the Mathematical Association of America, including one year as the Section Chairperson in 2009–10.
At Hope College, he has served on the Academic Affairs Board, the Campus Life Board and the Professional Interests Committee, as well as a variety of other campus committees. Darin served as chairperson of the mathematics department from 2004 to 2010. He currently serves as a Fellow of the Center for Ministry Studies at Hope and as an Accessibility Ambassador with Hope's Office of Disability and Accessibility Resources.
AREAS OF expertise
Darin's research areas are algebra, geometry, combinatorics and data analytics. He has studied connections between algebra and geometry related to a ring-theoretic approach to non-commutative projective geometry. In combinatorics, he has studied graph theory with a focus on the Lights Out problem and its relationship to linear algebra, cellular automata and domination theory. He has recently completed a collaborative project involving the use of machine learning to identify bird species from recorded birdsong samples. Darin actively involves students in his research and has publish several papers with student co-authors.
- Ph. D., mathematics, 1994, University of Michigan
- M.S., mathematics, 1990, University of Michigan
- B.S., mathematics, 1988, University of Kentucky
- "Using Neural Networks to Identify Bird Species from Birdsong Samples," with Russell Houpt et al., in An Introduction to Undergraduate Research in Computational and Mathematical Biology: From Birdsongs to Viscosities," eds. Hannah Callender Highlander, Alex Capaldi and Carrie Diaz Eaton, Birkhäuser Basel, 2020
- "Lights out for graphs related to one another by constructions,"" with Laura Ballard and Erica Budge, Involve, 2019
- "Lights Out on finite graphs," with S. Edwards et al., Involve, 2010
- "Counting Quadratic forms of rank 1 and 2," with E. Frugoni, N. Miller and A. Wells, Pi Mu Epsilon Journal, 2009
- "Constructing Clifford quantum P3s with finitely many points," with M. Vancliff, Journal of Algebra, 2007
- "Finite quantum P3s that are infinite modules over their centers," with M. Vancliff, Journal of Algebra, 2006
- "Quantum 3-spaces which embed weighted quantum planes," with G. Dietz and R. Higginbottom, Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics, 2005
- "Growth of Graded Noetherian Rings," with J. J. Zhang, Proceedings of the AMS, 1997
outside of hope
Darin spends a lot of time with his wife, Michelle, and his two sons, Ryan and Jared. Ryan ’19 and his wife Lauren ’18 are both Hope College graduates. Jared is currently a Hope student (Class of 2023).
Darin has spent over 20 years as a keyboardist and vocalist on church worship teams, and currently serves as a band member, worship leader, video producer and video editor at Summit Church. He enjoys playing board and card games and meets every week or two with local groups to play games. He is an avid reader of science fiction, fantasy and mysteries. He enjoys being outdoors through disc golfing, running, cycling and hiking.