Dr. Darin StephensonProfessor of Mathematics
Darin Stephenson has been at Hope since 1997. He has taught more than 20 different courses in the Department of Mathematics, the GEMS program and the First Year Seminar program.
From 2008 to 2011, he served on the executive committee of the Michigan Section of the Mathematical Association of America, including one year as the Section Chairperson in 2009–10.
At Hope College, he has served on the Academic Affairs Board, the Campus Life Board and the Professional Interests Committee, as well as a variety of other campus committees. Darin served as chairperson of the mathematics department from 2004 to 2010. He currently serves as a Fellow of the Center for Ministry Studies at Hope.
AREAS OF expertise
Darin's research areas are algebra, geometry, and combinatorics. The main thrust of his research explores algebraic structures (e.g., rings, groups) and how they interact with or define corresponding geometric structures.
In combinatorics, he has studied graph theory with a focus on the Lights Out problem and its relationship to linear algebra, cellular automata and domination theory. Darin actively involves students in his research. He has published several papers jointly with students in the areas of algebraic geometry and graph theory. He has also supervised the publication of two student research articles in geometric probability.
- Ph. D., mathematics, 1994, University of Michigan
- M.S., mathematics, 1990, University of Michigan
- B.S., mathematics, 1988, University of Kentucky
- "Lights Out on finite graphs," with S. Edwards, V. Elandt, N. James, K. Johnson and Z. Mitchell, Involve, 2010
- "Counting Quadratic forms of rank 1 and 2," with E. Frugoni, N. Miller and A. Wells, Pi Mu Epsilon Journal, 2009
- "Constructing Clifford quantum P3s with finitely many points," with M. Vancliff, Journal of Algebra, 2007
- "Finite quantum P3s that are infinite modules over their centers," with M. Vancliff, Journal of Algebra, 2006
- "Quantum 3-spaces which embed weighted quantum planes," with G. Dietz and R. Higginbottom, Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics, 2005
- "Noetherian Connected Graded Algebras of Global Dimension 3," with J. J. Zhang, Journal of Algebra, 2000
- "The probability of being in a state," in Solution to Problem 10726, American Mathematical Monthly, 2000
- "Invertible Subsets of Affine Root Systems," with P. Check and C. Kriloff, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, 1998
- "Growth of Graded Noetherian Rings," with J. J. Zhang, Proceedings of the AMS, 1997
- "Algebras Associated to Elliptic Curves," Transactions of the AMS, 1997
- "Artin-Schelter Regular Algebras of Global Dimension Three," Journal of Algebra, 1996
outside of hope
Darin spends a lot of time with his wife, Michelle, and his two sons, Ryan and Jared. Jared is in high school, and Ryan is a Hope student (Class of 2019).
He has spent over 20 years as a keyboardist and vocalist on church worship teams, and currently serves as a band member/worship leader at Harvest Bible Chapel in West Olive. He enjoys playing board and card games and meets every week or two with local groups to play games. He is an avid reader of science fiction, fantasy and mysteries. He enjoys being outdoors through running, cycling and hiking.