Todd SwansonAssociate Professor of Mathematics
Todd Swanson has been a member of the mathematics department since 1989. He predominantly teaches introductory and general education courses in mathematics and statistics, and he has coauthored four textbooks. He is currently working on a fifth textbook, Explorations in Geometry.
Todd has presented at numerous national meetings, workshops and mini-courses on innovative ways to teach mathematics and statistics that focus on guided-discovery methods and projects. His work has been funded by the National Science Foundation, the Great Lakes College Association, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, the Teagle Foundation and Hope College.
AREAS OF expertise
Todd writes curriculum materials for introductory mathematics and statistics courses that focus on active learning. His focus lately has been on how to teach introductory statistics using randomization methods.
- M.A., Mathemathics, 1989, Michigan State University
- B.S., Mathematics, 1985, Grand Valley State University
Awards & Recognition
- Best Journal of Statistical Education Paper, 2012
- Hope College Janet L. Andersen Excellence in Teaching Award, 2009
- Innovative Programs Using Technology Award, 1996
- Introduction to Statistical Investigations, John Wiley & Sons, 2015
- Understanding our Quantitative World, Mathematics Association of America, 2005
- Precalculus: A Study of Functions and their Applications, Harcourt College Publishing, 2001
- Projects for Precalculus, Saunders College Publishing, 1997
Select Articles and Book Chapters
- “Retention of Statistical Concepts in a Preliminary Randomization-Based Introductory Statistics Curriculum,” Statistics Education Research Journal, 2012
- “Development and Assessment of a Preliminary Randomization-Based Introductory Statistics Curriculum,” Journal of Statistics Education, 2011
- “Precalculus: A Study of Functions and their Applications,” in A Fresh Start for Collegiate Mathematics: Rethinking the Courses below Calculus, MAA Notes #69, 2006
- “Do Dogs Know Calculus? A Statistical Investigation,” STATS: The Magazine for Students of Statistics, 2004
- "Projects for Precalculus," in Exemplary Programs in Introductory College Mathematics, MAA Notes #47, 1998
Outside the college
Todd serves as director of running events on the board of the Holland Running Club. He has run many marathons (including a qualified Boston Marathon) and one ultramarathon. He enjoys other outdoor activities such as downhill skiing, paddle boarding, kayaking and golf. He and his wife Debra (Sociology) have two (almost) grown-up children.